1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Modifying Magna tank to fit my ZL900?

ARCHIVE_Elimax Nov 18, 2006

1. ARCHIVE_Elimax

ARCHIVE_Elimax Guest

Hi all:

I'm in Phoenix AZ, and bought my '85 ZL900 a couple of years ago. Amazing bike. I put on a D&D exhaust and Holeshot Stage 1 kit.

Bike rocks (of course), but the fuel capacity is frighteningly tiny. So, I bought a Honda Magna tank (I was told it could fit the ZL900 with a few mounting mods), and I'm hoping that one of you might know of someone in the Phoenix AZ area who I could hire to modify the Magna tank to fit the ZL900.

Lemme know! Thanks.

Aaron

2. I have a magna 83-85? sitting here, but the tank itself isnt alot bigger than the eli tank is, magna's have a second tank down under the seat, sorry to say this but I dont think your going to gain enough extra to justify the cost..... I am looking hard at the tank from an xs1100 maxim its nearly 4 gal and has a very nice shape
    any photos of that tank sitting on the eli?

3. ARCHIVE_Elimax

ARCHIVE_Elimax Guest

Hi Rick:

Sorry about the delay in responding to you...

The Magna tank I bought is actually from a '94 Magna (VF750C). It definitely looks bigger than the stock ZL900 tank...I swear!

Do you know any place I could find out what capacity this VF750C tank has, or would you know?

Thank you!

Aaron

4. here ya go from a honda vf750c manual 1994...
    [​IMG]

5. ARCHIVE_zlMark

ARCHIVE_zlMark Guest

3.6 gallons, not worth it. I remember reading(this site) someone used a vulcan tank, i think there was pics too. Was that your bike Ethan?

6. Yes indeed I was the one with the vulcan tank. I really liked the looks of the tank on there but I only gained about 1/2 gal capacity. If I hadn't done it myself I wouldn't do it unless I gained some serious capacity.

7. as soon as I can get bike/van out of my driveway I am going to see just how well the xs1100 tank will fit. its 4 gal.

8. ARCHIVE_Elimax

ARCHIVE_Elimax Guest

Okay. Thanks for the info on the Magna tank capacity.

So, here's the question: What, in y'all's opinion, is the best way to go to increase the ZL900's fuel capacity?

Thanks!

Aaron

9. Back in the day , I went on a couple iron but rides, 1000+in 24hrs,...
    many of the pros, had 2-4 gal extra tanks mounted on the seat behind them, or anyplace else they could, those guys were getting 300miles between stops.... not something I would do for an everyday machine, I am told a good running well tuned zl can get a tick over 100 miles a tank, not far but @ an average of sayyy? 50 thats two hrs of saddle time, time for a smoke anyway.
    I will post up some pics of that maxim tank sitting on my 85 asap

10. here is what a v2tank would look like on an 85/86
    [​IMG]

11. ARCHIVE_Elimax

ARCHIVE_Elimax Guest

Questions regarding the V2 tank

Hi Rick:

That tank looks excellent on the bike...so here are my questions:

1) What bike/model/year is the "V2 tank" from?

2) Has anyone ever done this mod?

3) Do they have instructions on how to modify it so it fits on the ZL900?

Thanks very much for your help!

Aaron

12. ARCHIVE_zlMark

ARCHIVE_zlMark Guest

That tank is the vn2000 which is the vulcan 2000. I've looked closely at these bikes cause i really want one, i gotta tell you it's the biggest baddest cruisier i ever sat on. This bike is enormous and when your on it that tank looks really long. Most intimidating bike i've ever sat on, it's that damn big. You wouldn't get that tank on our bike unless you wanted to do away with the front seat and sit on the pillar seat :laugh:

13. one of the fellow riders here in town has a Suzuki bulivard<spelling, that this is a real beast....the v2k is a great machine I wouldnt mind haveing one in my stable next year (0:cool: