1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Making peace with the Transformers...

slug Feb 3, 2019

1. slug

slug Senior Member

From threads here in the past it seems like most of us were never fans of the transformer look. But my ZL is at 136,000 kms now and seems like will always require ongoing work and downtime, so I decided to get something more modern to deal with commuting. I wanted to stay with Kawasaki, and i can't afford new so revisiting the 2010 Z1000 after a few years i realise i really do appreciate its muscular appearance, and brutal performance...so i bought one!

The ZL styling we know was made in the american style to please americans, but the Z1000 is so...japanese...I found some of the reviews quite funny, one of the complaints is the small fuel tank on the Z, but for us ZL9 guys its a jump from 11 litres to 15.5 litres, and its 30% more fuel efficient too so for me its amazing that i will now get over 200 kilometres on a tank. Another common complaint was that it is quite busy pulling 4500RPM at 100 kph, but that is exactly the same as the ZL9 so no problem here!

130 HP and 73 lb-ft of torque makes the Z1000 substantially more powerful than the Eliminator, but its also 20 kilograms lighter and 15cm shorter, so you really have to feather the throttle on take off, so side by side i reckon i could still pull the first 50-100 meters faster on the ZL - but make no mistake once the Z1000 gets it on the acceleration is BRUTAL!

The Z came with Vance & Hines slip-on mufflers which were very raucous, but the factory pipes look so awesome i prefer them, and after searching for long time for a nice set of the louder 1985 pipes, i think i am now programmed to be obsessive about Kawasaki originality ;) The Z is then much quieter than Z9 at idle, but they designed a loud induction roar into it that is an intoxicating sound that more than makes up for it IMO :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

R. J. likes this.
  2. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

:hello:Congrats!:thumbsup: All that you need now is a piece of German Autobahn without speed limit...:laughing7:

R. J. likes this.
  3. slug

slug Senior Member

Thanks! But yes I will never experience this Z1000s top speeds here in New Zealand that’s for sure, speed limit is 100km/h and we have many inconsiderate zombie drivers trying to kill you at every opportunity (saying that I may have snuck up as high as 190 km/h on the Eliminator on a clear motorway years ago :whistling:)

4. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

To snuck up is okay, to chase Mercedes, BMW or Audi for longer is hard exhausting (...ask my neck :confused:). What if the cops would have caught you - jail?

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Nice Z 1000 & your ZL 9 looks good to. :notworthy:. So your Z 1000 is a 2010?

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Congrats on your new purchase! Now you have the best of both worlds.

slug and R. J. like this.
  7. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

Like the z1000 syle but prefer the model before...slightly more swoopy at the rear...but only a 950.

The 5 spoke whels on your bike are abolute classics...recon they will be the ones to go for when building a special.

8. slug

slug Senior Member

Jail is an option for the most extreme cases, but speeding under reasonable conditions probably a few hundred dollars fine, and maybe 3 months license disqualification.

A recent case here a guy was busted for sustained 220 km/h on his motorcycle and overtaking on double lines - from the video he posted online! He was charged with dangerous driving and given fine of $1150, and disqualified from driving for 8 months.

9. slug

slug Senior Member

Thanks - I was looking at that previous Z1000 at first, but the 2010 is a massive jump up from previous in power and handling, it was a clean sheet design including the engine.

10. slug

slug Senior Member

Yep 2010 is first year of production, and my serial number is over 5000 so they have made plenty more Z1000 than ZL9 that’s for sure!

11. Ed

Ed Active Member

R. J. likes this.
  12. slug

slug Senior Member

Thanks for the link - those are some serious power gains - an extra 20HP? Sheesh im still learning to hold on at full stock power!

Unlike the ZLs the Z1000 engine has a counter balancer so it already feels much smoother than my ZL9, which could be read as less character also. This morning Ive put the Vance & Hines Urban Brawler pipes back on it that came with the bike - they are very raucous i dont think i can handle the volume without earplugs lol.

Z1000 runs great, although it was very hot here yesterday and i got a little bit of pinking at lower revs, to battle it I might add a proportion of higher octane petrol if this heat continues.

R. J. likes this.
  13. Ed

Ed Active Member

The smoothness I gained was due to the flash eliminating the fuel cut at low RPMs that gave it a jerky feel. It might not be a problem with the Z since it's a totally different bird. Some of the tweaks he does will help the engine run cooler on all bikes.

14. slug

slug Senior Member

The Z1000 has the same fuel cut, I did read about it in all the reviews, although the cackling coming from the Vance & Hines pipes on deceleration is pretty awesome lol. Despite being slighty jerky changing throttle at low revs I’m already 100% more confident in sharp low speed corners on the Z than I ever was on the bouncy and long ZL.

15. slug

slug Senior Member

A quick video comparing the sound of them both - guess which one the fun police have left much quieter at idle! That said the induction roar on the Z1000 under power gives the engine masses of personality....

R. J. likes this.
  16. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

No doubt , the sound of Kawasaki exhausts.

R. J. likes this.
  17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Nice. :notworthy:. Together they sing in perfect harmony. :notworthy:.

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: One day about 10 of us was sitting around n da wood on our ATVs :laughing7: & this 2 stoke was raising hell on the power line. This one guy says it doesn't sound all that pipey. I said it's a 1973 FMF Harley. The kid pulls down to us & the guy said how did you know what it was. I said that I put points & condensor in it a few weeks ago. He says WTF are you talking about. :laughing7::laughing7:.