1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets go hunting

R. J. Oct 24, 2013

1. Wissler

Wissler Senior Member Supporting Member

I haven't got one-yet
    Spent countless hours in the stand (Bowhunting only-with my recurve and wood arrows)

Our land up north is bucks only again this year. Sucks cause I see 20 does a day on stand.
    My sister lives in Central Wisconsin. She shot a buck and a doe with her bow, her hubby shot a buck and a doe with his bow and a dandy buck during gun season, and my niece shot a buck and a doe with her gun(16 years old and she's a killer)

I have until the 2nd Saturday in January till bow closes and plan on spending every day I can in "her" woods.

Lucky for me, Sis gave me a deer. All cut up and took 35lbs of scrap meat and had summer sausage and snack sticks made.

I hope I get a chance to tag out this year. Over 200 hours logged in on my stand so far...........

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Nice. :thumbsup: I wish I had private property to hunt on both in PA & FL. I had 2 farms to hunt on in PA until this year. One 90 acre & a 400 acre. My friends parents both passed away last year & he sold everything. All the other ground that I hunted growing up in PA is now posted. In the 60s, 70s $ 80s I was able to hunt just about anyplace.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My friend John with his coyote. He took it with a old compound bow in Nov of 2013 & little John with his first buck at age eight. He used a 40# compound bow. He got it on Nov 11 of 2014.

Attached Files:

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Spring Gobbler Season opens here in Central FL tomorrow. I've been scouting some new areas. I've been watching a sand hill crane on her nest. They are protected here in FL. They mate for life. If one dies they never look for another mate.

Attached Files:

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Has anyone killed a deer this year. I have not hunted in 2 years. My Nephew & his son both got a buck on the opening Monday of PA rifle season. He ownes 45 acres or so in Indiana Co. Which is 90 miles East of Pittsburg. Paul's was an 8 point & his son's was a real nice 10 point. It green scored in at 178 3/8 & has a 22" spread IMG_20171128_181153579.jpg imagejpeg_1.jpg imagejpeg_3.jpg IMG_20171127_173951182.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. MN Mike

MN Mike New Member

Wow, are those impressive and both from the same 45 acres.
    Never shot anything with racks like that.
    The whitetail around here get big but the racks usually don’t.
    We hunt up in Koochiching co. MN

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: 3 years ago Paul & his Dad both got 8 points on opening day. Every year Paul plants corn, alfalfa & hay for the deer to eat. They never take a deer less than an 8 point. Less than 3 miles from Paul's place a friend of mine Frank Lacorchick took one of PAs largest racked deer. It scores in the high 180s. IMG_1748.jpg

9. pipnow58

pipnow58 Active Member

I shot a small buck in the November hunt and I am hunting in the 4 day late hunt for a doe. Today is the last day . It's a bit tough hunting with temps in the teens and single digits.

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Here are some more pics of deer that Paul got on his deer cams. His 45 acres has 1000s of acres around his property that is all posted & corn as far as you can see. So the deer in is area are well fed. He lives in North Central PA at the Tri-Countys of Indiana, Cambria & Clearfield. 10-18-14 122.jpg 10-18-14 137.jpg deer 089.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  11. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I see deer every morning hanging out in the yard. They eat everything planted around here even if it's tagged deer resistant at the nursery. Those things run out on ya at every turn. I'm going to have to do my part with population control next year.

I've seen bear scat within 100 ft of the house, big piles and smaller piles a few yards away from momma's. I'm thinking about spending the hundred on a good quality trail cam.

Happy hunting!

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: From 1990 to 2004 six of us here from Deltona FL would travel to PA to hunt the Allegany National Forest for 2 or 3 days then spend a week hunting the Suburbs of Pittsburgh. We would kill at least one doe per person. We stayed at a friends place in Beaver Falls PA. We huted Allegany & Beaver Counties. Allegany Co. is a shot gun only hunt. Also Allegany Co. issues unlimited doe tags or you can say that they never issue all of them. We always had at least 2 doe tags each. Most of the property is posted. We had 5 small patches of woods @ 150 acres each to hunt. Every year we would ask permission to hut other areas but most of the time we was turned down. I always see on the news about people around Pittsburgh complaining about being over run with deer but they never want hunters to come in to thin out the deer heard. Some of PAs largest racked deer come out of the Pittsburgh area.

13. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/9744350-74/deer-lebanon-hunters

Oh the humanity, or lack thereof. J/K

You should have witnessed the outrage when this program started in the wealthy neighborhood of mt. Lebo.

Here is my take on it:
    Identify the problem
    Humanly put an arrow thru it
    Pass the meat along to people who need it.
    Problem solved for $150/ea
    Great plan!

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: $150/deer. Tax payer $$$ @ work. :notworthy:. We have run into our fair share of Anti-Hunters. It was funny to see people threaten 8 Hunters with a pool stick. :laughing7:. One time we was hunting Clairton Steel Mill property which was opened to the Public to hunt. Clairtion cops & the PA Game Commision both showed up. We was leaving the woods & about a dozen or so guys was waiting at our trucks. They seen that we was from out of State so they was really pissed off. They told the law that we was killing doe & hunting with rifles. We all had bolt action slug shotguns with scopes. The wild life officer told them morons that doe season ran with buck season in Allegany Co & that our guns was shotguns. That was the last year of our 14 year run all hunting together in PA. Everyone has moved away from FL except for 2 of us. IMG_5186.JPG

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  15. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Yes RJ, The freezer is full again and we will eat good and healthy. Nothing to brag about with rack but the distance I decided to take the first one at might have some in disbelief but then again this year I used the 300 Win-Mag

R. J. likes this.
  16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Here are pics of some racks of bucks that my Nephew Paul & his Family have taken on his 45 acres over the past 28 years. His Son Quinn killed the largest one at 16 this past deer season in PA. All together they have killed 24 bucks on the 45 acres that they owen. They have never killed any does. IMG_6644.JPG IMG_6642.JPG IMG_6660.JPG IMG_6661.JPG IMG_6662.JPG IMG_6663.JPG

17. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

If I had to hunt it would be to eat and survive, the fact is here out wildlife has disappeared and "Modern" farming has virtually finished it off! A Farmer was telling me that the new harvesters almost leave zero cereal grain for the birds and little mice, it is a really sad situation!

They only recently outlawed hunting with a bow and arrow! I can't remember when it was specifically, but up to the 1960s it was illegal not to practice archery before church on a Sunday morning, a Medieval Law never been rescinded!

Large knifes are illegal here, which makes camping difficult; due to the youth, but mainly immigrants children stabbing each other! But as I say killingt would be for food and with a bow and arrow, or a spear of axe. I would have to give the animal a chance, rather than blast away with a highly sophisticated rifle. No criticisms intended, but I personally don't take life unless I absolutely have to!

Okay, I know factory farming and I don't like all that either, can't seem to get away personally from, " you reap what you sow", but not always sure how this works!

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: This is not England. Thank GOD. Hunting here in the US of A is a muti billon dollar industry. It creates thousands of jobs & controls the wild life populations. The US has over 22 million white tail deer. That is because of Conservationists which who are the people. The States put hunting laws in place starting in the early 1900s. We have something like 25 million people who take to the fields every year to participate in some form of hunting which is more than any other sport, but I've never really considered hunting a sport. Hunting in some north eastern states some schools give the kids off for opening day of rifle deer season. In the 60s & 70s my family hunted every kind of wild game too put food on the table. I never ate or even new of fast food when growing up. We grew & canned all our own food. We even had a milking cow.

markus56 likes this.
  19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Did anyone kill a deer this past hunting season. For the first in nearly 30 years my Nephew Paul & his Family did not get a buck. They haven't killed a doe in 25 years. Here are some pics of bucks that made it through this past deer season. These pics was taken the second week of Jan. IMG_20190113_095825000.jpg IMG_20190113_095850798.jpg

20. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Buck 2018.jpg I did----

R. J. likes this.