1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets go hunting

R. J. Oct 24, 2013

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: We left FL at 6:30 AM FRI morning & arrived in Marionville PA at 4:15 AM SAT morning. We sat up camp at 11 AM & went to the woods to scout for opening morning this coming MON. As of now it is 36*. Looks like no snow at all this week.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. basket case

basket case Well-Known Member

Good luck!!:thumbsup: Dropped a tasty button head on the 13th one and done. Hope everyone else tags out too!

3. Liam

Liam Active Member

8 guys only one fork horn in upper Michigan.
    To help make up for the lack of success, my Dad and Brother are headed out west this week for buffalo with Sharps in 45-70. Handloads should get it done.

4. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

R.J., Hey bro, I was done hunting at 7:16 am, Monday morning, how's your luck been? Sure has been crappy weather for two days, not too good for hunting in PA.

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  5. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:

6. basket case

basket case Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Congratulations Martin. :thumbsup: First thing Sat morning we built a new bridge across West Branch Run. I cut all the materials at home before leaving FL. My stand is across the creek. One year I fell in the creek while crossing & almost got hypothermia.

Attached Files:

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Sat afternoon we scouted for hunting spots for my son's Jonathan, Jared & our 2 friends T J & Chris.

Attached Files:

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I had to replace my 5 ratchet straps on my 2 man ladder stand. Then I sat in my stand until dark to try for a Coyote.

Attached Files:

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Sun we checked out some new spots for back up.

Attached Files:

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Mon morning at 5 AM I made my 1 1/2 hr hike to my ladder stand. I seen 7 doe at day brake & a large bodied lone deer going threw the Mt laurel up behind me but I could not put antlers on it.

Attached Files:

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My son killed a 1/2 rack on Mon at 8 AM. It had 4 points on one side. It shed an antler & the other fell off when he shot it. T J had a 6 point come behind him but he was not sure until it was to late. Chris saw 4 legal bucks but could not get a shot at any of them. Another group of hunters that was staying at the camp grounds from FL got an 8 point.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  13. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: On Tue the only one to see a legal buck was Chris. It ran right past my son Jared. He was sleeping just like on Mon. We broke camp & packed the truck Wed. Pulled out of the camp grounds around 3 PM. We arrived at my friends Mothers house at 6 PM.

Attached Files:

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thu we seen only doe.

Attached Files:

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: FRI afternoon we went to Lecorchick's Pro Archery in Northern Cambria PA. Frank the owner holds the 9 th spot for largest Non-Typical buck taken with a bow in PA. It scored 186 0/8 Pope & Young. All time world rank is 822. It was taken in Indiana County PA in 1996. He hunted this buck for 3 years before getting a shot at it. His shop has an indoor archery range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: FRI morning we seen nothing. We went for doe SAT & again no luck. MON the same except for John he seen 13 doe in 3 days. He did not have a doe licenses. He was mostly walking trying to push deer to us but they stayed on the round tops then going down the other side of the Mts. My friend John has killed 25 buck with a 25 year old re-curve bow & 5 with a rifle. Along the way he has taken just as many doe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: On SUN night someone in front of us hit a Doe. The guy hit it's head so the meat was good so we kept it. In PA it is legal to take road kill. You are to call it in to the Game Commission with the town, county, township, what rode & the time. They issue you a permit # on the phone. Then they mail you a form to fill out. We said good bye to John & pulled out of Northern Cambria PA TUE at 9 AM & arrived home by 3 AM WED.

Attached Files:

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: So did anyone else get a deer? I separated & packed our deer meat. Put it in the freezer. I paid $60 to get butter fly steaks, de-boned steaks & what was left made into stew meat. The road kill I made the back straps into butter fly steaks, steaks & 2 roasts.

Attached Files:

19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Here is the last bucks my Dad & oldest brother killed. My Dad's is on the left. I remember my Dad's 7 point like yesterday. It was taken Dec, 1 st. 1975 in Cambria Co. Emeigh PA at 9 AM. It was -14*. I split my hunting pants wide open. We where leaving the woods. I walked threw a grape vine thicket while my Dad posted on the edge of the thicket. I jumped the buck but could not shoot because I was all tangled up. My Dad yelled old buck & the buck stopped & looked at my Dad. He shot his 35 REM 200 grain round & the buck dropped in his tracks. It was a short drag to the road. My Brother Paul's 8 point buck was taken in the small town of Curry Run in Clearfied Co. in the year of 2011.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: So has anyone else kill a deer. 3 other guys in my family has taken a buck on the last Saturday of PA rifle season. This past Saturday since the weather was cool 65 I went out to a new area to hunt. Seen 0 deer. Friday evening I seen 6 deer across the street in the woods from my home. Central FL woods is so thick, over grown & swampy you not dare to walk threw most of it. Some pics of the new area.

Attached Files: