1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

KWICK's Starter/Alternator Chain Tensioner Tamer

KWICK Oct 6, 2012

1. KWICK

KWICK Active Member

My new Tensioner Tamer is ready. I have them in stock and ready to ship.

Here's the link to my website, and complete installation instructions:
    http://kwickstand.net/Hyper-Formance.com/Tensioner_Tamer.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My new Tensioner Tamer fixes not only the symptom of the tensioner arm hitting the clutch, but also the actual problem of the lock plate slipping in the first place.

The starter/alternator chain tensioner performs two functions:

1. It tensions the chain when the motor is running and driving the alternator. In this regard, my unit performs exactly the same as the spring loaded OEM tensioner.

2. It tensions the chain when the starter operates.

This unit has an adjustable, permanently fixed stop. It does not move and it has zero clearance when installed. Expected normal wear allows less movement than the stock adjuster does when operating the starter. It won't need adjustment often, maybe at every clutch change...15,000-30,000 miles... and it takes 5 minutes to do. I include an extra one-use locknut for that purpose.

Hy-Vo chains like to be kept taught when running. The stock spring loaded arm does this on my setup, just as it does with a stock tensioner.

Manual adjusters do not have any spring tension and the chain can run loose, or with inconsistent tension, when the motor is running. This is bad. I've worked on many of the early Honda and Kawasakis from the 70's-80's (the CB750F/900F/CBX for example) with Hy-Vo cam chains and manual cam chain adjusters. If you weren't religious about readjusting the lock nut and letting the adjuster do it's biz, the chains would wear out very rapidly.

My New Tensioner Tamer is made from a piece of CNC Machined billet 6061-T6 aluminum with a gun-drilled Stainless Allen button head bolt, Stainless lock nut, a 12.8 grade anchor bolt with an Aircraft Stainless Locknut and comes with your own tube of #262 Permanent Red LocTite.

Installation should take less than an hour.

In Operation in my 12.5:1 ZRX1109:
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPbtLMCnPZ4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pricing:

$55.00 each

If you have purchased a Fix in the past from me, and mention it, I will give you a $5.00 discount. I have it in my database if you are not sure. You must mention it at time of purchase, I will refund the $5 thru PayPal.

Clutch Cover Gaskets are $8.94 each

Shipping in the USA $6.00, with or without the gasket.

Shipping to the rest of the World $24.95, both via Priority Mail. For foreign orders, obtain your gasket locally as shipping is incredibly expensive relative to the price of the gasket.

Installation instructions and tool needed are listed on my website.

Cheers,
    KWICK

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    kvalheim likes this.
  2. vinny

vinny Senior Member

Thats a well thought out and neat fix Kwick. Well done!

3. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

I hope everyone takes advantage of what I believe is a must have upgrade...I have only been here a short while and I've seen 6 engines fail due to this coming apart. I'm glad I just did mine as mine was looking sad.

4. mudrunner88

mudrunner88 Webmaster Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Got mine in the mail today and plan to install it over the week. Will report back.

5. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

mine seems 2 be working great, way better than factory set up. 004.jpg along with the zg 1000 6 link setup.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. KWICK

KWICK Active Member

Hi Guys!
    I have plenty of my Tensioner Tamers in stock.

Cheers,
    Pete/KWICK

7. jkrstls

jkrstls Member

Hi, my starter chain seems to be making noise, do you think it could help?

8. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2017
  9. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

I just ordered me one of these
    I have a noise in the clutch area at idle
    the ZL 900 I owned back in the 90's had the tensioner take a dump and I was lucky there was no damage
    I like a quiet engine

10. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You won't regret doing the starter chain up grade and manual tensioner. Cam chain tensioners are suspect as well. The later Connie set up is best.

11. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

Hi Markus
    I was thinking the noise I was hearing was the timing chain ,,, so ,,,
    I checked the Timing tensioner, removed and reinstalled,,, its still good with plenty of push left in it
    I went around the engine with my audio tester (ear) LOL and noticed the dreaded noise by the clutch
    It is only there at idle and to me is anoying as @#$
    I cant wait to have a nice quiet engine
    :)

12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I bought a KWICK tensioner tamer about a year ago $60 shipped. I also bought a ZG 1000 used OEM tensioner for $56 shipped. Last month I bought the last of the of the new OEM ZG 10 6 chain row upgrade parts that I need. I'll be doing the upgrade sometime this fall.

13. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

Heres a few pics of the clutch and tensioner assembly after mods,
    also a shot of where the tensioner was starting to hit the clutch
    20180428_104311.jpg 20180428_104332.jpg 20180428_104347.jpg 20180428_112916.jpg

14. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I'll bet she's nice and quiet now.....

15. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Nice. :notworthy:. How do you know how many turns to adjust the stay bolt. Almost all the ones that I have looked at have about 5 threads showing. When I do mine I guess I'll use that for a starting point.

16. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

well sort of
    thats not making any more noise and it was only random
    I have a manual tensioner coming from the ZLOA store I dont trust the cam chain tensioner
    we'll see what that does
    Bike runs very good ,,, its just a little noisy to me, No clunking noises just buisy sounding at idle
    I have nothing in the neighborhood to compare it too ,,, no other zl's

17. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

RJ
    the instructions say to run it up hard, finger tight then remove it and tighten the lock nut, then reinstall
    so thats what I did

18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: OK: Thank's. :notworthy:.