1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Knee Guard Dampers

Breeze Jan 11, 2018

1. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

I have an '85 900 and the knee guard dampers on the rear of both knee guards have separated. On side is steel and the other side is rubber. I need to repair these to get the bike ridable again. However, I'm a little worried about using the wrong adhesive/epoxy and that they just fall apart again or look terrible. It looks like the left side may have been repaired once before, but that was over 25 years ago because I have owned the bike since '92 and I have never needed to mess with them until now. Does any one have any advise for the best stuff to use?

2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Gorilla Glue worked for me.

3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You can always use a good rubber cement and then drill through the damper and secure with a nut and bolt.

4. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

The Steel to rubber Damper you say?
    I have repaired a few similar items with good quality Super Glue
    remove the part, acetone them and clean them, apply Super Glue and clamp in a Vice.
    not too tight,, just enough pressure to hold them together, let set for an hour or so.
    Also rubber turn signals can be repaired with the same method

5. Breeze

Breeze Active Member

Ok, thanks for the advise. I'll give it a shot!

6. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

3M Weatherstrip Adhesive? It's made to bond rubbery stuff to hard stuff.