1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

KAWASAKI ZL600A1 FOR SALE

Ed Apr 5, 2018

1. Ed

Ed Member

1986 ZL600, 18000 miles, $2600 firm. Comes with extra seat (1996) and spare CDI.

Near perfect condition, 100% factory correct including the seat! (Not sure about the mirrors.) Mufflers are almost flawless! Only one owner before me as far as I know. Some minor oxidation on aluminum parts and rust on left headers. Carburetor caps and hand levers have a bit of pitting but nothing that distracts too much from the overall condition. Never been down! Tank has a couple tiny spots that were touched up but barely noticeable and no dents. Left signal stalks have some superficial surface cracks in the rubber. I've always run Spectro Platium 4 synthetic and E0 gas. Currently, it's stored without fuel and bit of fogging oil in the upper cylinders.

My plan was to have the left header re-chromed and polish the aluminum for a decent restoration or just turn it into a cafe racer. Unfortunately, getting used exhaust parts chromed isn't environmentally friendly so I've been waiting for a perfect header to show up on ebay. I've since given up on any of that happening and now have my sights set on a new ZX400.

Bike is located in Laurel, MD. I can deliver within a reasonable radius at $0.25/mile, otherwise buyer is responsible for pickup. Cash only.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kvalheim and markus56 like this.
  2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Nice. :notworthy:.

3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

That's a nice looking bike and priced right too. You shouldn't have any problem selling this jewel. Hope someone here gets it.

4. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Good luck with your sale. That is one clean bike:hello:

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Why you selling your bike. I'd just keep it. Over the past 50 years I with that I'd kept quit a few bikes.

6. Ed

Ed Member

I have four bikes and need to get rid of the three I don't ride before I get a ZX400. I too have had bikes I wish I kept but it isn't practical to keep more than two. One to tote the wife and a fun sized one just for myself.

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I didn't know KAW made a ZX 400 for the States. What's it look like.

8. Ed

Ed Member

It's new for this year. Search 2018 Ninja 400. I'd get the blue one.

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

10. Ed

Ed Member

There's a good change that I assembled this bike back in the day. The guy that owned it, traded it in along with an old KLR250. The KLR was clapped out but it's running now.

Here's something you don't see often. Can't remember what year they began including these with bikes. I was gonna use it for something else but I'll include it also. Sorry, no toolkit. :(
    [​IMG]

R. J. likes this.
  11. Ed

Ed Member

I'm not comfortable unless I'm leaning forward and feet back. The ZL600 ain't bad but that damned Virago hurt my back.

The ZL is in too good of condition for it's age to ride often. Hate to scratch the mufflers or dent the tank. :cry:

12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I think KAW started selling the chain & lock with bikes starting in 1985. They are hard to come by. On E-bay MadMax wants $155 for one. :laughing7:. I can't lean forward or get my feet back. :laughing7:.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  13. Ed

Ed Member

When I was assembling bikes, I felt guilty about not giving the customer what comes with bike. We were selling 10 or more bikes a day in summer back then, and we'd end up with a lot of stuff that customers didn't get for some reason or another. It's amazing how many old OMs and tool kits there are still in filing cabinets. But I must confess, I did keep a Yamaha low pressure gauge. They were the only ones that worked right.

I could piece together a tool kit but it wouldn't be completely brand or period correct.

Just looked at a 2016 Zero FX, 500 miles and upgraded batteries. 298 lbs, 47 HP. A couple hundred bucks more than the 400.

14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Is a ZERO electric.

15. Ed

Ed Member

Yes. The FX is the dual purpose model. Electric is very practical for the everyday, short trip ride. Definitely doesn't have the range or the cool factor of a noisy, fire breathing ICE.

16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: So it has a range of 500 miles. Bad Boys Buggies makes a side by side that is electric & has a 3 cyl diesel engine. While using fuel it charges the electric motor.

17. Ed

Ed Member

It has 500 miles on the clock. Less than 100 mile range at best.

18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

19. Ed

Ed Member

I'm gonna put this ZL back in the vault. I won't advertise anywhere but here so I'll probably still have it unless I post back.

20. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Good deal. :notworthy:.