1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

KAWASAKI ZL1000 IGNITION SWITCH AND WIRING NEEDED...

madaboutdeltics Oct 30, 2018

1. madaboutdeltics

madaboutdeltics Member

Hi All

First post on here for help.

My pride and joy was recently stolen and vandalised (luckily the coppers turned up before they could get away with it) but unfortunately i need a new ignition switch and the wiring underneath.

i ordered a switch from the States, (im in Manchester, England) and it eventually turned up without the wiring attached, so i need either or.

Parts are impossible to source other here, and it is discontinued by Kawasaki.

Can anybody help ? will pay for it, not asking for a freebie.

2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

I have one that does not have a key. You can get a key made or transfer the bottom to your switch. It's pretty intricate in there though, it would be safer to let a locksmith make a new key.

Attached Files:

3. madaboutdeltics

madaboutdeltics Member

That looks perfect mate, i will PM you...

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I agree, it would be better to have a key made than to take it apart if you've never had one apart before.

5. prfixer

6. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

I am not sure where it is but there is a code on the lock that says what key it takes... you send them that code and they will cut the key to fit that lock.

7. prfixer

There is a "Z" stamped on the switch. However, the one locksmith I referred to previously said there may be problems with those codes and the cutting instructions available to him. Something about secondary cuttings, above my pay grade! Brian needed it shipped ASAP, so we didn't wait and see if a key cut by the number would have worked. There is also kawasakikeys.com that is available to dealers and I wonder if that isn't a better option.

PTPopz813 likes this.