1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

** Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) Screwdrivers **

SO CAL ZL Jan 30, 2011

1. SO CAL ZL

SO CAL ZL Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well....I finally got aggravated enough at goring-up original Kawasaki factory screws when I encountered a tight one, that I ordered a bunch of JIS screwdrivers from a supplier that zlMark turned me on to. I had originally checked with the Snap-On guy, but he gave me the dear-in-the-headlights look for anything other than SAE or Metric, so I knew that was a lost cause at that point.

Here's what I bought; check the website, these are some very well manufactured tools. They're manufactured in Japan to fit that goof-ball Japanese JIS size...Love the handles....No slippee in the hand!
    http://www.rjrcooltools.com/shop_item_detail.cfm?subcat_ID=138

SO CAL ZL

2. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Cool, glad you like them. So which sizes fit the carb rack screws and float bowl screws?

3. Bacchus

Bacchus Senior Member Supporting Member

looks like a nice set, Im just wondering if it still wont require an impact driver for the tough ones to come out without stripping them....

4. SO CAL ZL

SO CAL ZL Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'll be able to better answer both those questions when I get into doing the carburetor's removal, etc.

My wild-ass guess on Bacchus' question specifically, is that it still may require a "shocking" jolt to loosen some of those puppies....My hope is that with a more postive bite between the fastener and the tool (proper mating of surfaces) the shock required could be lessened.......:dontknow:

SO CAL ZL

5. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Yes.

6. klx678

klx678 Well-Known Member

Look like a good thing to use to get those phillips heads out... then pitch them and put in allen heads! I have 'em in the float bowls of a few bikes I've had. Much much better to take out. Heck I even swapped out the screws on my handle bar switches when I had some issues with phillips heads... hate them.

7. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Just want to give a review on my new purchase of a set of JIS screwdrivers from this company. I'm not easily impressed but let me tell 'ya guys, I'm really impressed with the quality of the product and the service I received from RJR Cool Tools. I did have to wait about ten days on my order because they were out of one of the screwdrivers I ordered but my order was shipped right away when their back order came in and it was WELL worth the wait. I will not use another regular phillips screwdriver on my bikes.....ever! Yes, there's that much difference between them! I'll have mine at the wrench session this weekend and you guys will see for yourselves.

8. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Hey Mark thanks for letting me know these are in!

I just ordered the same set and extra's you did.

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/shop_item_detail.cfm?subcat_ID=138

The ones Markus and I both ordered are:

Vessel Tools Megadora

They offer a motorcycle kit but it doesn't include the smaller drivers. I found the largest of the small drivers fit the ZL1000 Kawasaki badges on the backrest and tank cover very nice

Would be nice if they made a #3 JIS bit that fit the impact drivers. I'll be sure to request this to the company.

9. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

I got my JIS Screwdrivers in the other day. Man are they sweet! Nice comfy handles and just a nicely detailed screwdriver all around. You won't find another JIS screwdriver with full sized handles on them. I was anxious to use mine so I broke down the rack of carbs on my ZL1000. Didn't even have to use an impact driver on them like I usually do. The #3 fit the larger rack screws and the #2 fit the smaller rack screws, and it fit them snug! A must have for anyone working on Japanese Motorcycles!

The 2 smallest drivers may not be of any use on the ZL's but I will use them working on Laptop PC's. Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

10. thinman

thinman Member

I don't have JIS screwdrivers. I do have several Phillips heads. They are not all the same. Try different ones until you find one that fits tight. Same thing is true when working on regular Phillips heads. Manufacturers of screws and screwdrivers don't hold the same tolerances.

11. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Reviving an old one here. I was looking at this set https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vessel-Meg...ross-Point-Screwdriver-Set-Japan/253240046857

Are there any other sizes that would be useful? I sometimes use my impact driver without even hitting it for the stubborn screws but sometimes it's a bit large handled for what I need and would rather just grab a JIS #2 and know it won't strip the heads out. I feel that these and my impact driver will address 95% of my needs.

12. Raf900

Raf900 Member

Those are a good looking screwdriver. Time to get a set myself.

13. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I have the set you posted and I highly recommend them to our members.

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

15. markus56

That is a very comprehensive set there R.J. and should be in everyones' tool collection that works on Jap bikes.

R. J. likes this.
  16. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Senior Member

Very great tools to have for sure!!

17. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

R. J. likes this.