1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Is It In My Head?

ZLrider May 7, 2018

1. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

What I'm referring too I don't think you'd call a donut. It's more of a sleeve and I don't think you could crush it if you tried. I could be wrong though, I know you have a much better knowledge of these machines than I. It's been quite some time now since I had the exhaust apart, but seems to me the issue was the split in the sleeve is lined up with a split in the exhaust and should be rotated a bit. It's not very loud at all and to be clear I'm not talking about where the pipe bolts to the head, I think it's where the muffler connects to the head pipe. The connection is under the bike, not in the front.

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

The gasket you are referring to is a graphite gasket. They will seal during re-assembly if you were careful with them while working on the connection. They should be slid on the male pipe all the way to the stop collar when you install them and make sure the female pipe is not crimped down (open it up with a wooden handle from a shovel or hammer) before assembly so you don't rip the gasket. They are expensive to replace if you bang them up.

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I wasn't sure of the name. They run about $22 each. When I was working on a friends (Dan) ZL 1000 from Tampa FL I had one just fall apart. It wasn't on right & was hard to get off.

4. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips. It's not a pressing issue, but when I get around to pulling that stuff apart again will refer to these comments. I've always had a so-so memory, but I can't for the life of me think of why I had those pipes apart. I've really not had to do much to this machine.