1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Installing without help?

Bike on stand with a good milk crate under it.
    Engine on a good milk crate as close to bike as possible.
    Sit on bike — reach over and lift engine into frame— hold engine in place with legs and right arm while installing mount bolts with left hand.

Warning, If your unable to lift the weight of the complete enge and walk around without help, Please don’t try this as you will most likely end up dropping it!

R. J. likes this.
  2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Thanks for the input Paul......I knew you'd have some tips to pass along.

3. The Original Sin

The Original Sin Active Member

I’d like to see a Utube video of that!! I think I wait and get some help. I don’t want to be on America’s Funniest. I think I’ll spend the extra money and get that mini trans jack R.J. Suggested and take my time.( 25% off coupon) I found a real nice 2006 zg1000 engine. At this point I can either screw this thing up or get the tools and help to do it right.

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You have two options on the ZG egine.....you can leave the counter- balance shaft in place or remove it. If left alone (which is my suggestion), that's why you have to drill that little hole in the oil pan. If you take it out, then you don't have to drill that hole. I opted for the latter but wished I didn't. It saves a couple of horses to remove but that's negligable.

5. The Original Sin

Thanks Markus!! I drilled the oil pan.

6. paulfun

You-tube?

Been doing the swaps by myself that way for years, when We did Markus’s swap I installed his basically the same just with a board on top of a jack instead of the milk crate. Maybe you guys are just getting a little whimpy in your old age from playing with your cell phones instead of cutting wood with an axe or digging holes for the outhouse? I always said indoor plumbing would be the demise of our country! :D

I agree with Markus about the balance shaft, leave it in and drill the hole unless your planning on squeezing ever last once of HP out of it on the Dino. With the balance shaft you will have a lot less vibration in the bars.

Don’t forget to change the water inlet pipe on the front and rear of the engine as they are slightly different on the zl.

7. The Original Sin

I said it would make an incredible YouTube video to watch you installing an engine alone using milk crates! I might even pay to see that! Anyway Paulfun, I went out and got the milk crates yesterday. I drilled the small hole in the oil pan, do I need to replace both coolant pipes or just front?

8. markus56

Yes, both coolant pipes will have to be swapped out from your old motor as the are different.

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I short guy can't do a motor swap alone. :laughing7:. I have not used an Outhouse since 1984. Anyway they scare me. :laughing7:. When I was 4 years old in 1962 I blew up our Outhouse. :laughing7:. I found a pack of matches. Went down to the Outhouse lit a match got real close to the seat & threw the match into the crap. In a nanno second I was covered in ****. I came out of the Outhouse crying. My Dad was standing next to the Outhouse with a swich & beat my little ass. You would of thought being covered in crap would of been enough punishment. :laughing7:.

10. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

:Laughing4: Omg is that funny or what.

11. paulfun

I Can’t Stop Laughing!

My Granfather warned me to never play with matches around the Out House. For some unknown reason he was the only one I listened to growing up. So fortunately never had to suffer the same fate!

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Back in the 60s on Halloween my oldest brother Paul & his friends would move Outhouses at night back 2 feet. More than one poor soul has fallen in. :laughing7:.

13. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

:Laughing4:

14. paulfun

We never moved outhouses but we did pick up and move things. Once or twice some of our handywork made the local papers like. When we picked up and turned some VW Bugs onto thier roof in a parking lot.

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Talk about VW Bugs. We used to ride our Snow Machines through this one wooded area in Indiana Co. PA. We had theses perfect jumps like 7 of them. We road our dirt bikes the next Spring come to find out they was VW Bugs. :laughing7:.

16. The Original Sin

I got it! After suffering from the greenhorn jitters the engine went in and is secure. I did draw quite a bit on Paulfun’s advice. A couple helpful hint for anyone about to swap their engine. I took off all of the engine mounts both front and back. I also used a strong strap that I ran under the engine and was able to straddle the bike and lift it into the frame. Using the milk crate kept the engine at the correct height. I used I jack under the bike with a piece of wood. This allowed me to raise and lower engine to correctly line up and reinstall the engine mounts. I did take the oil pan and the valve cover off to generate as much room as possible. Other than some minor scratches she went right in. Thanks.

R. J. likes this.
  17. paulfun

I was wondering if you just thought I was nuts when I posted that?

Glad to hear it’s in and the project is moving along.

18. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

Any more progress? How you coming along?

Brad

19. The Original Sin

Thanks for asking badbrad! I’m happy to report I completed the engine swap successfully and I’m really proud of my work. Other than some minor adjustments everything is great. Now I will turn my attention to the 2nd bike. Here are a couple pictures of the finished product.

Attached Files:

20. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

I know you are glad to have one done. That is quite a bit of work for one guy to tackle so I must say.... nice job! The bike looks great and that’s another one saved from the vultures, lol.

Brad

markus56 likes this.