1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

You re-used the head gasketo_O?

2. The Original Sin

The Original Sin Active Member

Yeah I know.... duh! But it looked in great shape. Wishful thinking I guess. I’m just throwing money at this thing right now. It’s no longer a matter of passion it’s become an expensive obsession.

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: No problem. Glad to help. :notworthy:. You should always use a new head gasket. They crush down & will fill in very slight imperfections on the head or top of the cyns. Also I always have my friend Ron A. check my heads & top of the cyns for warpage.

4. The Original Sin

Is there any way for coolant to enter the crankcase other than through the water pump and or the top end?

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I'm not really sure. One of the long head bolts that bolts at the cyn botton to crank cases has an orange O-ring that may go bad but I think that is an oil issue.

6. The Original Sin

My new engine arrives today, any words of wisdom? Drilling a said hole in the oil pan has me a little perplexed.

7. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

That is an easy one. You've got to swap out the oil pans anyway and when you take them both off and compare the two, you'll easily see the hole and how big it needs to be and where to drill it.

8. The Original Sin

Thanks Markus. I’ll keep you posted. Btw I’ve watched you engine swap video a dozen times. You certainly had a nice group of Eliminator experts with you.

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yes, we had a gathering of great guys on that swap.

10. Ed

Ed Active Member

The problem may have started with a leaky coolant reserve tank. The nipple at the bottom of many tanks have sharp edges from the mold halves not matching precisely and poorly trimmed afterwards in an attempt to remove the flashing. I always used an xacto to round out those sharp edges as much as possible on those type of tanks and some were pretty bad.

A properly designed tank will have all tubes going in thru the top, IMO.

R. J. likes this.
  11. The Original Sin

I never thought of that. You guys are the best!

12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: When I was working on my friend Ron D. ZL 10 coolant was leaking out the bottom stem. It had a slight crack in it. I had a spare so I just gave it to him. The 250 Eliminator does not have a stem on the bottom.

13. The Original Sin

I am struggling big time installing the new engine!!!!! Anybody out there who can help!? Tips, best practices. Tricks, voodoo magic. HELP!

14. markus56

Do you have the swing arm in place or removed? You can do it either way but it's easier with it out of the way. You should have your oil pan swapped out too before installing engine. What all are you having trouble with?

15. The Original Sin

The swing arm is off. The oil pan is swapped. I’m getting hung up. I guess I’ll need to take off the motor mounts front and back, try and get the engine in the frame supported underneath with a jack then put the mounts back on. What side of the engine do you enter?

16. markus56

The right side after removing the frame section.

17. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: To me it's a 2 man job. Do you have anyone that could help you.

18. The Original Sin

Yeah, my son...after he’s finished with finals. Thanks for asking R.J.

19. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The 2 motors that I've installed I used my Harbor Frieght mini tranny jack. $90. It made things so much easier. tranny_jack-1.gif

20. The Original Sin

Wow! That’s great! I’ll be doing a swap on my red bike next year so it will probably be a good investment.