1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: That 2004 connie motor in FL looks to be a good one.

2. The Original Sin

The Original Sin Active Member

Is the Connie motor a strait swap into the ZL1000? Are there any modifications I need to contend with. What years are ok to use as a donor. What other engines can I use that would be a easy in? Any members out there willing to sell a good spare engine at a fare price?

3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd get the latest Connie motor you can find closest to 2006. You could also put in one from a 1000R but chances are they've been beat on.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The connie uses smaller carbs all's you have to do is use your intake boots. Also the newer connies has a 6 row starter chain set up.

6. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

I have a spare zl1000 that was test run once and has been in storage since.

The engine seemed to run fine and smooth but it was only tested in the frame without radiator or tires.
    The previous owner tried a cheap spray paint of it so it would need a good cleaning.

Would be willing to sell it in the frame it sits in which means you would get some spare parts.

PM me if interested.

I also have a complete zl1000 that will run fine with a battery and carb cleaning Major need for that is a leak in the fuel tank at the rear mount. $1000.00 cash if you can come pick it up and transfer the title.

7. The Original Sin

The hose coming out of the water pump is cold. The hose at the bottom of the radiator is cold. I have milk shake in my crankcase. Is this my water pump? I can I be sure?

8. The Original Sin

He can I troubleshoot?

9. The Original Sin

How can I troubleshoot?

10. 87kawzl

11. The Original Sin

I just replaced both the upper head gasket and the lower cylinder jug gasket. Other than a major crack in the block or a water jacket I can’t see how this much coolant is getting into the oil. I’m noticing water dripping out of my tail pipes up near the exhaust box.

12. 87kawzl

What did the gaskets look like when you took it apart? Did you check the surfaces for being flat? Was #4 clean like it was bead blasted from water?

13. The Original Sin

1669DD9D-39F3-4261-BD90-1AF2DE6696EC.jpeg
    Mr. Paulfun, I never saw this reply until today! Wow nice of you to reach out with such a great deal. I am really honored. I just bought a replacement motor for one of my bikes. It’s a ZG1000 off a 2006 Concourse. I hear you are an expert in replacing this kind of engine.

14. The Original Sin

The top gasket was in very good shape. The bottom gasket was trashed. It looks like it had been replaced once before. The number 4 cylinder was scored and the rings were shaved flat on one side. I assume this might have been due to bad berrings or warped connecting rod.

15. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: You might have a warped head. This will happen from a motor over heating.

16. The Original Sin

Hmmmmmm.

17. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

Crank it a few times... then do a spark plug check... and then crank it with the plugs out... does it throw water? water out the exhaust? sounds like a head or head gasket!

18. The Original Sin

I will give it a try. The fan won’t activate even after the engine is hot. The crankcase breather blows steam like a Chinese laundry. I assume the temperature sensor isn’t activating the fan because the coolant isn’t circulating through the engine. I soon as I filled the radiator the oil in the sight glass turned to milk shake. I don’t see any seepage, cracks or fluids coming out of the top or bottom engine blocks. I replaced the lower cylinder bucket gasket and replaced the upper with the original because it didn’t look damaged. It’s either a cracked water jacket, a blown water pump or the gaskets are bad. What do you think?

19. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  20. The Original Sin

Thanks for staying with me R.J.