1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. The Original Sin

The Original Sin Active Member

hi everyone, I think I blew my engine. Can you help me trouble shoot to see if I did or hopefully it’s something else.

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Give up some details, you can't just leave us hanging like that.

3. The Original Sin

1. I hear you brother, I’ll will follow up with complete details as soon as I get off work.

4. The Original Sin

Ok, so here’s the whole story. I went for a ride yesterday. It was a hot sunny day here in E. Tennessee. I warmed my bike up as normal and set out. By the time I got to the third or forth traffic light I heard my radiator fan kick on as normal. I rode about 25 miles and noticed my temp light come on my tachometer. I pulled over and my radiator was boiling. I also noticed my fan had stopped working. The radiator purged a small amount of fluid so I let the bike cool off. I popped the seat off and noticed the coolant reservoir was bone dry. I started the bike up and made it to the nearest gas station about 2 miles away. I filled my reservoir up with distilled water and let her cool down again. The fan still not working. I got back on the bike and attempted the ride home. I figured with the wind force cooling the radiator and the water I put into the reservoir I should make it. I hope that wasn’t a catastrophic decision. After about 10 miles of interstate driving I started loosing speed. I could feel the engine laboring. It wasn’t long before I lost the engine completely. When I pulled over it was smoking hot. White smoke was pumping out of the crankcase breather but not the exhaust pipes. The smell was a combination of coolant, oil and burnt engine. Needless to say I couldn’t restart the engine. After she cooled down and while I was waiting for rescue I tried to start the bike. She would crank but no ignition. Some smoke continued to pump from the crank case breather. After sitting dangerously on interstate 75 for 3 or 4 hours rescue finally arrived. When I got home and recharged my battery I tried it again with the same results crank, crank, crank but no start. This morning I pulled the spark plugs. I noticed that the tops were covered in oil but the threads were for the most part dry and the gap ends looked normal with no carbon residue or white hot burn. I opened the radiator cap and it stunk of burnt antifreeze, it also was very oily. The site glass for my oil level was normal and the oil cap did not show any signs of milk shake. I completely cleaned the spark plugs and also cleaned my in line Pringle fuel filter (which by the way had a bunch of crap in it.) I tried to start it again with the same results. NADA. I performed a cold engine compression test and the first three cylinders all read between 150-160psi. Cylinder #4 was only reading 60psi. I checked all my fuses and everything looked good. When I turn the key to start before hitting the starter my controls read temp light on and oil light on. The residue around the crank case breather was oily with lots of grit in it. Well that’s the truth and nothin but the truth. What do you think?

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I would of never started it after the first mishap. Drain the oil & check it for coolant in it & for medel shavings. You may of bent a valve on # 4 cyn or the valves for cyn 4 may need adjusted.

6. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

That does not sound like it will ever be the same. #4 cyl at least has problems. Head gasket or rings are shot. looks like I am going to make a wire to remove the relay and install the wire incase the relay or switch goes bad.

7. The Original Sin

Are there any sensors that would prevent the bike from starting. Like I said it cranks but just won’t fire. If the water pump blew would that cause the radiator fan to stop operating? I will drain the oil and check for coolant and debris. What would cause oil to mix with coolant but at this point I don’t think I have coolant in my oil.

8. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

A blown Head gasket will let coolent into the oil. also a cracked head or block would do that too but I don't like saying that. as a guess, if the coil pickup got to hot it might have fries? Just a guess, do you have spark?

9. The Original Sin

That’s a very interesting observation. I will check for spark. I read that the possible reason the radiator fan stopped working was because the coolant was so low or not circulating because of a bad water pump.

10. Ed

Ed Active Member

Question is can the head come off without pulling the motor?

11. 87kawzl

I'd call a few parts stores and see if they will lend a radiator pressure test kit. Harbor Freight sells one for not much $. The senders do need to be in contact with fluid to read the temp and send the signal to the fan to turn on/off.

12. The Original Sin

No spark.

13. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

check the pickup

14. The Original Sin

Calling on R.J. Come on man! I need you! BTW big shout ou to the notorious 87kawzl!!!!!!

15. The Original Sin

I’m gonna check the pick up. Thanks!

16. 87kawzl

Water pump "blowing out" is highly unlikely without you knowing. The seals leak and let fluids drain through the weep holes in the housing.

Thanks for the props!

17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: To little to late but a part of daily checks is checking the coolant level in the tank under the seat. I check it every time before starting my bike. Did you notice if any coolant/water is left in the system. Any coolant around the head gasket. Test the pic up coils per the manual.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  18. The Original Sin

Yeah, I hear that ounce of prevention message now loud and clear! I’m going to start with testing the coils. Drain my oil and I tell you what I find. Hey R.J. Just playing around on my last post. You’ve always have been there for me and pretty much everyone else here on this site. As always Thank You.

19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: That's OK. It didn't bother me. Do a compression test. When done correctly you want to do it with the throttle wide open with the air filter removed. Unplug all 4 spark plug caps & remove all 4 spark plugs. Also wrap a wire around the 3 plugs at the base of the threads in series & ground them to the frame/motor that are not being tested. This will protect the 2 coils under the fuel tank. One other thing make sure that no fuel is in or around the motor area that can ignite.

20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Which bike is this. Is it the one that you got from Ron Doria in Deland FL. He just sold another ZL 1000. He said he got 4 K for it. At most it was a $2500 bike.