1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Interviewing Dale Walker!!!

ARCHIVE_ElmoTheDestroyer Jul 23, 2006

1. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

I like the holeshot banner, can we move it up above the ebay list?

2. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Yea as soon as we start receiving commision from him :rotf:

3. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Why did he choose the zl for his school?

I'm sure he has a ton of pics/video/dyno charts for the zl's :bringiton: :D

Dale sez:
    He tested the ZL, V-Max and Magna for all of the magazines back in the day, and he "loved it", good clutch, good gearing, and bulletproof when kept cool.

Dale is also going to get some pics and magazine articles (maybe even some video!!!!) together and send the stuff to me, and we'll get it on the site asap!

4. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

HEY MARK, thanks for the link to dale's photo's ! Michelle,& i, really enjoyed seeing reminders of her country ! for those of you who have not met my wife, she is also from the philippines ! brought back many memories for us.
    i know that airport in manila very well ! thanks again bro ! CHRIS

5. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Not to mention the shelf full of parts collecting dust!!!

6. wuputt

7. motorsiklemad1

motorsiklemad1 Well-Known Member

pod filters

I want to fit individual filters to my Zl1000 but want to keep the chrome airbox side covers. could Dale supply me with the filters and brackets needed to keep side covers?

Dale sez:
    He didn't keep them on the 900s he ran.

8. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Dale, how to launch a zl900 Eliminator?

9. vinny

vinny Senior Member

Well, it took me a while to ,think about this question !
    Does Dale think that there is a problem with the no.3 bearing journal?
    I know its a well discussed topic - but his opinion would be well worth hearing. :D
    Vin

Dale sez:
    There were oiling problems with these motors, it was universal, see the tips section in this thread for more info.

10. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

Well, folks, I will be calling Mr. Walker today, and as soon as I get off the phone with him, I will post up the answers to your questions....So stay tuned!!!
    moab...

11. wuputt

Thanks Andrew! I really appreciate your efforts to get Dale's input on our beloved rides!

12. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

:yeahthat: thanks moab !!!! CHRIS

13. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

Tips from Dale for our beloved ZL's...
    -Use Rotella-T 5W-40 Diesel Blend motor oil.
    -If you re-do the clutch, use 3 stock springs, and 3 stiffer 'race' springs and alternate them, the clutch for the ZL's is super stout, combine that with the low gearing and these bikes are "Bulletproof"
    -Use Engine Ice, you have to keep these motors cool, and other products do not do it as well as Engine Ice, even Water Wetter (which I use, yikes!) causes corrosion.
    -When adjusting valves (which is essential for long motor life) use 2 feeler gauges, so the rockers do not tip.
    -Advancing the timing.....4 degrees is the magic number, make sure you jet it so it does not run lean, heat KILLS these motors.
    -Launching the ZL.....See the V-Max launch info posted on this thread, it's virtually identical.

- See the Technical section for Dales setup for his 4 ZL900s he ran at his school.

14. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor Senior Member

It would be nice to have pics of Dale's bike with the mods being shown. Where do you get this Engine Ice?

15. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

Dale has it available thru him, otherwise I suppose just do a Google search, but I would bet that Dale would get a kick out of sending stuff to Thailand!
    I am working with Dale to get some more pics of the modded ZLs for us all to drool over, hopefully I will see some stuff by the end of next week (?) but in the meantime, here is a link to his site and there is 1 pic of a drag racing ZL....Enjoy!
    http://www.holeshot.com/
    Go unde Dale Walker Racing, and scroll to the bottom of the page, and select '80's Photos', the ZL pic is almost at the bottom of the page....Have fun!
    moab...

16. monkeyhanger

monkeyhanger Senior Member

well done that man,interesting me thinks... andy

17. DaleWalker

DaleWalker Eliminator Legend

Dale Walker Saying Hi

Well i finally made here guys

Just wanted to say hi and thank the big boss Andrew for inviting me. Im in big trouble though without spell check........Ha Ha

I can answer a few questions , but please keep them short and let me take care of a few at a time ok. I wont be able to get on here every day. Im really busy and it all goes in spirts with my madness.

Back in the day the little ZL was a real neat bike, if you own a clean one hang on to it. Like a dumb dumb i sold all of my school bikes. I sure wish i would have at least kept one of them now.

I will check back in when i can

Cheers Dale
    :victory:

18. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor Senior Member

Dale, glad to see you join the group and we all look forward to hearing about your history and any information you can supply about our bikes. There are some great people here and we do try to help each other whenever we can.

I would like to know if there is anything that you "used to make" or "now make" for this bike that you would be willing to let someone else manufacture and sell? I'm in Thailand and do know a few people.

Thanks,

SD

19. DaleWalker

DaleWalker Eliminator Legend

Hi SD

Thank you for the welcome

I prefer to make all my own parts here in the US , but thanks for asking

I will go to the other thread from now on i see they put up

Cheers Dale

20. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

See that fellas?
    Dale called ME the big boss.....
    I need alot of pillows now, my heads getting real big.
    hehe...
    moab...