1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Interviewing Dale Walker!!!

ARCHIVE_ElmoTheDestroyer Jul 23, 2006

1. Anyone have a left rear shock for a ZL900 layin' around?

I'm trying to find a working left side rear shock for a 85 ZL900. I posted in the parts wanted forum, but I'm not sure how much traffic it actually gets, so I figured I'd throw an ad in here also (I'm in a hurry to fix this :) ) ...

Anyways, if you have one, or happen to know of a cheap alternative please let me know ASAP! :)

Thanks!
    --Elmo The Destroyer

2. If anyone happens to know if ZRX1200 shocks would fit please let me know. There is a set on Ebay I might be able to get if they'd work.

Thanks again!
    --Elmo

3. ARCHIVE_markzl

ARCHIVE_markzl Guest

Yes they fit, but they do raise the end about an inch and a half. You just have to exchange the rubbers from you old shocks with the new ones.

cheers

Markzl
    [​IMG]

4. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

I have the stock pair from my ZL1000 laying around, check the p/n, if they match I will give you a deal on them.

5. ARCHIVE_Rossco1

ARCHIVE_Rossco1 Guest

I checked the rear shocker assembly part number via the Kawasaki online parts diagrams ... they show as P/N 45014-1360

I tossed this into my Zedders cross reference program and it shows P/N 45014-1360 fits both the ZL900 and the ZL1000

HTH :)

6. ARCHIVE_Wuputt

ARCHIVE_Wuputt Guest

I changed shocks right after I got the bike, put Progressives on to lower the back. Shocks are in near perfect shape, e-mail me and we can deal!

7. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

Fellow Eliminator enthusiasts,
    I just got off the phone with Mr. Dale Walker, and he has agreed to talk with me and to help us out with info pertaining to our bikes, as some of you may or may not know, Dale was using the ZL's at his drag racing school in the 80's and still makes a line of parts for these bikes, Dale himself told me he has entertained the idea of discontinuing these parts due to a lack of interest, I want to discourage this, so Dale himself will be on to check out our little site, and I encourage you all to do the same with his site, Holeshot Performance.
    This post is to give you members an opportunity to get your questions answered by the Man himself, so please, post up questions or topics you would like me to talk with Mr. Walker about, and when I get done talking to him I will post it all up.
    This is a great opportunity for all of us to benefit from Dale Walker's years of experience with these machines, and to let him know that the Eliminator is still a bike worth making parts for!!!
    Please keep your posts QUESTIONS or TOPICS for Dale.
    Thanks alot Eliminator faithful!
    moab...

8. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

What can be done to my stock eli. to get teh best possible power out of it and retain fuel mileage while remaining stock appearing. Not an ez question by any means. there is always a trade off.

Dale sez:
    To maintain stock appearance and get both performance and decent mileage, do the following:
    Stage 1 jet kit, Dyna coils and wires and Holeshot slip-ons, for a stock appearance without major surgery.

9. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

is there a heel/ toe shifter offered for a zl900 ? or, is there a inexpensive electric shifter ? pingle offers one for the zl, but it costs $ 700.00 ! is there a way to build an electric shifter ? if so, what would i need to do so ? i'm slightly disabled, & have trouble shifting ! pls. keep offering zl products Dale ! there are alot of us that still worship these bikes. i have 2 zl900's in my garage, but plan on buying several more in the future ! i will never sell these bikes, :nonono: i will just keep adding to my collection :D thanks, chris

Dale sez:
    There is an electric shifter offered through Holeshot, and there are a number of guys using it that are disabled, the shifter he offers is able to upshift through the gears, but you would have to downshift, which I assume you are able to do, but his solution was a more basic version of his electric shifter, if you can find a spot for the unit (under the seat between the battery and coolant resevoir, perhaps?) and he could plain jane one for you for about $100.00 off.

10. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Chris, check out Dale's website, he has shifters too!

11. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

:D THANKS WUPUTT :D checked out dale's site, he has a electric shifter for $ 465.00 . better than pingle ! they want $ 700.00 . i think i'm going to get one soon !

12. vinny

vinny Senior Member

MOAB, thats some coup you've managed to pull off !
    Ask Dale about the top end of the ZL 'cos he reckons thats a weak point in its design or manufacture. He reckons Engine Ice coolant is a good fix for this - can he tell us more ?
    Could you also ask him how he set up the suspension in order to get the best out of it ?
    Will go away and think of a few more questions now - wish Dale had a UK shop! Customs keep jumping on any imports and adding their 20% on :pale:
    Vin

Dale sez:
    The top end on the ZLs is junk (soft valve seats, oiling issues), but if you do not HEAVILY modify the motor, keep doing maintenance (see tips below) and keep it cool (the big radiator helps), you should not have any issues, Dale also recommended Rotella-T 5W-40 Diesel Blend oil for the bikes, it is fairly cheap and is a real good oil for the ZLs.
    Also, the Engine Ice is a great product, now he did not launch into a sales pitch, and said he would not, he uses it in his machines, and have you seen the way this guy rides?Get some, from him.

13. monkeyhanger

monkeyhanger Senior Member

ASK DALE IF HE CAN IMPORT GIFTS TO THE UK,WINK WINK IF YOU GET MY DRIFT,I`M SURE OUR FRIENDLY CUSTOMS OFFICERS WOULDN`T MIND.STILL CHEAPER TO IMPORT FROM THE STATES AND PAY CUSTOMS THAN BUY UK,MOSTLY ANYWAY.... ANDY( WELL DONE THAT MAN)

14. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Dale has a lot of pull , perhaps he can obtain actual production numbers from one of his buddies at Kawasaki? I would love to have numbers for both the 9's and 1k's. One would think that Kawasaki would provide the info, especially to a club. I tried that approach when kera was strong, didn't help!

Dale sez:
    Dale gave me some contact info for a guy that has worked at Kawasaki USA for 25 years, I will try and get ahold of him....Keep you posted!

15. acp

acp Senior Member

Do I need to install an ignition advancer on the bike if I am putting a stage 3 kit on it?

Dale sez:
    Yes, for maximum power gains, advance the timing 4 degrees, no more, no less, and don't bother with an adjustable advance, save your money and go with 4 degrees, but jet it at the same time you advance it.

16. dave583

dave583 Active Member

What is the easiest or most productive engine mod without doing a full breakdown? head? cams? port/ polish?

I already use the carb jets and pipe slip ons

Dale sez:
    There is no replacement for displacement, but, if you do not want to break a motor down, do a mild cylinder head rebuild (porting, valve job, milling, etc.) he can do this for about $650.00 out the door, otherwise, the ZL is geared so low that the Ninja cams will increase performance without too much work.

17. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

How about some drag racing info? Any recommendations on what gear/rpm to launch at? What rpm is best to shift at? Any tricks of the trade on the Eli's to do to get that "edge" over the competition during a drag run? Best way not to hit that dreaded "false neutral"? Is there a known way to reverse the shift pattern (as Chris brought up) - 1 up, 5 down, without any major reconstructive surgery to the Eli? Thanks. Later.

Dale sez:
    I asked him about launching, and he told me to use the guidelines he put out there for the V-Max, they launch about the same, as far as the 'false neutral' he said he never had an issue, but if that is a problem, and you are using it for drag racing, get an electric shifter.
    I did get Dale's setup for his bikes he ran at his drag school (his best run was a 10.68@125mph) and I will post that up seperately.

18. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

What is the benefit of drilling the vacuum slide bleed hole? Dynojet does it. Factory Pro advertises they do not. Holeshot?

Dale sez:
    No benefit to doing that at all unless you have the exact spring you need, and are messing with needle taper, he told me there is no need to mess with the needles on these bikes (his kit keeps the stock needles) it is good, jet it, pipe it and advance it 4 degrees.

19. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

and ask him if he likes the logo at the bottom of the front page

Dale sez:
    YES.

20. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader