1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing the Head Pipes

The Original Sin Dec 18, 2018

1. The Original Sin

The Original Sin Active Member

I’m struggling a little reinstalling the head pipes into the front of the engine. Is it better to loosely bolt the exhaust chamber in place or leave in hanging until the pipes are secure. What about the two outside pipes? I’m having a hell of a time getting them to seat with those plastic radiator shrouds in place. What works best for you?

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You need to remove those plastic shroud pieces and get 'em outta' your way for now and install when you get the exhaust bolted up. Then set the four pipes and power chamber in place and rest the power chamber on something that will put it close to bolting up but not quite. Power chamber will bolt in place after you get the head pipes in place and snugged up. The outside pipes will swing into place at the same time. Put some high tack on the copper gaskets to keep them in place while you're wiggling. Exhaust bolts at head will tighten a little at a time each till the get very snugg.

3. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

I always put some bubble wrap on the frame to avoid scratches by the outside pipes; the 'plastic-shroud-oil-line-get-into-right-place-thing' is really a puzzle...:cussing: