1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Ignition advance

ARCHIVE_M Tino May 7, 2007

1. ARCHIVE_M Tino

ARCHIVE_M Tino Guest

Has anyone advanced the timing on a ZL900? I live in Colorado, 6000 feet above sea level. The snowmobiles I build can tolerate alot of timing due to the altitude, and it really wakes them up. It looks like there is a kit that is adjustable, and one that is static at 5deg. advance. I'm a chronic gearhead, but don't have alot of experience with 4 strokes, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tino

2. ARCHIVE_Elimax

ARCHIVE_Elimax Guest

Hi Tino:

I have a 1985 ZL900 and use a Factory Pro kit with adjustable ignition advancer ignition timing rotor. I bought the kit at www.factorypro.com.

Here are their part #s:

CRB-K17-1.0 Kit (jets, needles, etc.)
    RTR-ADJ-KAW-4 Adjustable timing rotor

I also bought a float height measuring tool to make sure all float bowls were filling evenly...that part # is TL-FLOATHI.

I believe (but sadly can't remeber exactly now) that I advanced the ignition using the adjustable rotor by 2-3 degrees.

The bike seems to be running terrific at low speeds...accleration is very sharp. Haven't done any high speed tests yet, though, but I'm betting that given the low speed and acceleration performance, it will be excellent.

I will play with the timing after doing some higher-speed tests.

Lemme know if you have any questions.

Aaron

3. ARCHIVE_M Tino

ARCHIVE_M Tino Guest

Thanks for the info. The factory pro unit is the one I'm considering.