1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi guys and dolls.....Noob here....and need some advice please lol

ccuk2018 Dec 15, 2018

1. ccuk2018

ccuk2018 New Member

Hi guys,
    my names Jack and I live in kent, England.
    im 29 years of age and have been riding for 8 years now.

ive just brought my first zl600 1985.... when I viewed it I knew it needed some work to get her back to former glory.

it started on the button when I took a look at it but sounded like it was running rough...so I took her to her forever home and stripped down the carbs and gave them a good clean, then I re-installed them changed the fuel filter and put new inline filter on.....I tried to start and nothing its turning over that's it....

I changed the spark plugs and im getting a spark but weak.
    im getting fuel to the carbs....
    the air mixture is at the right settings...

it just turns over but not firing up.

any help or advice would be great, thank you.

2. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

It may sound dumb but have you checked that the run/stop rocker switch on the handlebar is in the correct position? Another thing is try to start the bike with the kick stand in the up position. There is a switch by the pivot on the kick stand that may be malfunctioning. Lastly locate the cdi box on the rear fender (underneath the seat), unplug the wiring harness and clean the contacts on the switch, then reassemble the switch and try to start the bike.

3. ccuk2018

ccuk2018 New Member

hi furchin, ive check the kill switch on the handle bars.
    ive also checked the kick stand switch it was solid so I disconnected it and looped a wire for now to see if it would make a difference.

I was thinking cdi as im getting spark but a weak one so my plan is to clean all the earths up and all the harness plugs.

also the previous owner put one of then crap china alarms on and a crappy speedo so wiring is crap and needs sorting im hoping wll be straight forward.

4. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

If your getting fuel and a spark, then something should go bang.

Does it cough at all or give any indication it wants to fire at all?

Measure you coils, it may be the spark really is just too weak!

5. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Is the choke cable connected and working correctly?

6. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I'd put the petcock to prime, put some hose to the nipples on the bottom of the carbs and open up the drain screws to see how much fuel is flowing through. I use clear hose from an old fish tank setup into a jar. The filter may be installed backwards or line may be pinched.

7. ccuk2018

ccuk2018 New Member

That's exactly what I'm thinking lol

She doesn't bog or even cough. All you can hear is the starter going over.

8. ccuk2018

ccuk2018 New Member

I'll give that a go today thanks for the advice I didn't think about doing that.

9. ccuk2018

ccuk2018 New Member

The choke cable runs smoothly