1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi All! New Eliminator owner here! 1999 EL252 F4

W_L Aug 24, 2017

1. W_L

W_L New Member

Hi!
    It is amazing how stylish this machine still looks today! Just looking at it puts me in a good mood :)
    I wonder what will be my mood when I make it run again, because it unfortunately needs some work.
    Specifically I got it with carburettors taken apart. I replaced all the worn parts and reassembled them, but
    I am kinda puzzled about reinstalling them in the motorcycle. If anybody got some pictures showing the correct
    connections I would be really grateful. I am especially curious about the double T fittings mounted at the bottom of the fuel bowls. I have not seen them on other motorcycles using the same carburettor type (CVK30 x 2) i.e. Ninja 250R.
    Here are couple of photos of the said beauty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R. J. likes this.
  2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Very clean little 250 you have there.

W_L likes this.
  3. W_L

W_L New Member

Thanks!
    Here is a pic showing the tubes I mentioned in OP. Do I route them in the same place as the vent hose?

el252carbs.jpg

4. W_L

W_L New Member

After looking through a bunch of schematics for radiators in similar models I managed to discover the purpose of these tubes at the bottom of carburettor set. It turned out they are meant for connecting the carburettors to cooling system. It believe is not a regular solution found on this model, isn't it?

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Nice 250 Eliminator. :notworthy:. I own a 1988. The 2 arrows pointing to the 2 line ports must be for emissions. Mine doesn't have them. Can you post more pics. IMG_4683.JPG IMG_4686.JPG IMG_4688.JPG IMG_4693.JPG IMG_4694.JPG IMG_4685.JPG IMG_4689.JPG IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4691.JPG IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4695.JPG IMG_2841.jpg IMG_2840.jpg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  6. W_L

W_L New Member

Hi R. J.!
    Thanks for your post. Now I am confident I reconnected all the tubes in my carburetors to the correct inlets.
    However I am pretty sure those tubes at the bottom of my carburetors are not for emissions. From what I have read emissions box and the relevant T connector were only mounted on the California variants. My machine comes from Germany.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will post photos of my carburetors later today.
    Also, R.J., I read the thread about your EL250. Great bike. Nicely documented renovation.

My carbs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I haven't done much to it in the past several months.

8. W_L

W_L New Member

The puzzle has been solved. My local mechanic clarified the issue for me. Both ends of this double joined T connection go indeed to the cooling system. However their purpose is not to cool down the carburetors, but quite contrary. They are meant to warm up the fuel mixture before the engine reaches its normal working temperature in order to ensure smoother performance. Neat, isn't it?

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Good to know. :notworthy:. The EL 250 is cold blooded so I see the reasoning.

10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Did you get your 250 running.

11. W_L

W_L New Member

I made a small progress in getting it back on road. First of all I was able to make the engine running, so that's a start, I guess. However, it turned out, that the carburetors are overflowing and leaking gas, so I had to take them out and make adjustments. In the meantime I noticed, that the fuel tap is seriously leaking and unfortunately there are no repair sets for this particular part nor there are any replacements, that would fit nicely. Used petcocks are priced almost the same as the new one so I order a fresh one at Kawasaki's dealer (70$). Also I figured out, that the current battery is both way to weak and has half the required capacity compared to specification, so I got a new one, which should ideally minimise the issues coming from this side. So, yeah, assuming everything goes smoothly from this step, I will be able to ride it before the first snow ;) They say we might get first snow in 2-3 weeks so not that much time, taking into account I have time almost exclusively on Sundays.

12. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

Make sure that none of the fuel leaked into the cylinders to hydrolock the engine as you hit the start button

W_L likes this.
  13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Did you get your 250 running.

14. W_L

W_L New Member

Long time no see. I have said I am going to finish this project before the first snow, but I had been far to optimistic. My personal life has seriously got in my way and I needed to put this project aside for a while.
    Anyway, I am back and while I was locked out of my account, I made some serious progress. Well, frankly, I nearly fished renovating my little EL.

On a side note, there really should be some effective way of reaching out to forums's administration, because at the moment there really isn't any.
    At least nothing, that is advertised anywhere on the front or support pages.
    Google log in, which I have been using, stopped working months ago. Reseting password does not work, because of broken captcha. Same with creating new account. Contact form allowing to send a message to forum's administration does not work for the same reason. I am not really sure, how I stumbled upon the ZL-OA facebook group, but it took me some serious time to finally reach someone, that could help me with restoring an access to my account. And believe me, I was really determined to do it. All thanks goes to Jeff Putney, who got it fixed for me.
    Anyway, I think it would be really worth it to put a link to the facebook group somewhere on the front page as currently this is the only way to gain access to this page.

Back to EL. I made it running and it really runs nicely. Turned out, that one of the spark plugs was malfunctioning, although there were no visual marks on it when I removed it, but replacing it did the job. And bam! EL fires up nicely each time with no hassle at all.
    Lately I have restored the original indicator lights, changed oil, cleaned and lubricated the chain and adjusted the slack on it.
    Things to do: adjust pilot jet setting, because the current setting seems to be a bit on a lean side, sync carburators, although they seem to run really well after bench sync, flush the cooling system and fill it up with new coolant. Inspect the gear lever spring, because it tends to get stuck in upper position. Gear changing itself is smooth. Maybe do some paint job renovation, will see.
    Here is a photo featuring new indicators. IMG_20180514_212440.jpg

R. J. likes this.
  15. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

The contact us link is at the bottom of the page. I don't log into the site via the methods that you state but if I click on them they do come up. And while it is nice that you give kudo's to Jeff for getting you back on this site I am the one who did this for you. Jeff reached out to me with your issues and a few others who also had issues. Glad that I got this sorted so you can enjoy this wonderful site.

16. W_L

W_L New Member

Hi @furchin ! Thanks for your help! Thanks to both of you :) Anyway contact us form is/was captcha protected so, which is broken, so there is no way to contact forum administration. Believe me, I have really tried. This was one of the first links I have examined. I think there should be a somewhere a plain old email address to forum admins just in case other contact methods stop working

17. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Glad to see that you got your 250 Eliminator up & running. :notworthy:.

18. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Good looking machine, 250's can be good fun!