1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuse box repair service

kawboy Sep 12, 2011

1. Blue-Grass-Tornado

Blue-Grass-Tornado _________________________ BANNED

Oh, sorry. I thought this rebuild thread for fusebox's were for the 1000's only? Do the 900's have the same issues? I've literally got half a dozen 900 fuse boxes laying around!

2. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

Blue~ C #14

3. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

RJ - got your core today, check's in the mail . . . and thanks for the "bonus" :D

4. bsmith

bsmith Active Member

Kawboy, thanks bud. Just got a chance to drop mine in tonight, got rid of some very slight hesitations in the idle and hopefully I'm all set with that intermittent cut-out I was having at high-speeds-- hope that never happens again! By the way, the old junction box had been drilled into the back (small hole)... had it been modified/repaired before-- thoughts? I know there are 'new' ones for a concours, but really appreciate it.

5. kawboy

No problem.

Just 1 small hole? There are 5 rivets that are drilled out to open it.

I'll take that old one off your hands . . . pm me if interested.

6. naughtyG

naughtyG Member

Heya,

just wondered - are you still offering exchange/repair on these junction boxes? I think mine may just have a bad diode - everything runs great but the side stand safety feature isn't working.
    If you're still doing this I may be interested in buying one off you, and send you mine. Or, if you could point me in the right direction for the diodes I may have a go at it myself, the reason being I'm in western Australia!

cheers
    nG

7. kawboy

Yes, still doing them. See my reply to your other post.

8. naughtyG

naughtyG Member

I've replied in the other post. Let's keep the discussion going there.

9. nick77

nick77 Active Member

PM Sent.

10. kawboy

Added ZL600 A & B and ZL900 to original post. These don't seem to be as problematic as the 1K junction box, but I have had a few requests for these.

I have a 600B box now, ready to go. Working on acquiring the 600A and 900 boxes.

If you've purchased a box from me, but not yet returned your old one, please do so. Returns keep this service more affordable for everyone.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  11. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

COME ON GUYS IF YOU OWE KAWBOY A CORE......PAY UP OR WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN:pistols:....................:pk:
    But seriously its guys like KAWBOY who help us all keep these bikes going, and really doing a great job! Thanks to ALL you guys who offer special repair work on parts NO longer available !!!:notworthy:

12. jkrstls

jkrstls Member

Are you still doing the fuse box repair? I just got finished installing aftermarket blinkers and now none of them work including the rear running light.. I think I crossed the wires a bunch of times because I didn't think I needed the directions. The aftermarket lights came with 3 wires, black, red, black/white stripe.
    on Bike / Aftermarket
    Front: grey = black/white
    blue = red
    black/yellow = black

13. kawboy

Yes, but it sounds like you need to get your wiring sorted out.

Also, if you bought LED signals you will need an electronic flasher relay.

14. kawboy

ZL900
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Is that one you took apart and are rebuilding or are you building them from scratch? Cool to see either way. Later.

16. kawboy

It's one I'm working on. Took it apart to get everything cleaned up.

The service manual has you remove the components (relays, diodes, fuses) to test them.
    I want to test everything from the pins on the back of the box, to make sure it works when installed on the bike.
    So gotta go through the diagram and come up with a test plan.

17. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The PWB & it's components look really good. Do you dip them in a ultrasonic cleaning system.

18. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I see, pretty cool. Later.

19. kawboy

No RJ, I use a product called Surface Prep. I think it may be slightly acidic, it really cleans up the copper. Then rinse with alcohol.

20. kawboy

And it's not a "normal" PCB. All those runs are individual copper bars, crimped onto the board. Low-tech, but heavy-duty.