1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Front Brake Pads:

Trojan441 Aug 1, 2018

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Thanks, they are pretty low though! The deal is everything changed since they have had to take asbestos out of the material! On cars brake disks are now wearing away quickly, were in the past this was unknown or they lasted ages, the new pad materials seem to be more aggressive to the metal surface of the discs than they used to be! Perhaps the discs are crappier metal than they used to be too!

On motorcycles I am not sure, how things have changed as this is the first time I have had to changed pads in 10 years!

The thickness of the New pad material I measured @7mm for each pad !

2. Ed

Ed Member

You're going by the reference number and not the part number. The 600A model uses a single piston caliper and the B uses twin pistons. BIG difference.

3. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Does the twin piston brake caliper brake better that the single piston unit? Or was it just for aesthetics?

4. Ed

Ed Member

Less flex and lighter disc are a couple advantages. Notice the rear piston is smaller to help the pads wear evenly.

5. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

What about the twin front disk LX, anybody out there got one, how does it brake on the road?

The ZL disks look similar to my Z650, but that's covered, at the back of a tin shed and I haven't compared them yet!

6. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

From pictures shown the Twin piston unit seems to use the same pads!

7. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

You bring up an interesting point, one I'm pondered for awhile. I'm not sure but *think* brake pads may still be asbestos. I know there are alternatives, but I've changed a lot of brake pads and shoes in my time and I don't see any difference in appearance or wear.

Something curious I noticed about the replacement pads, is unlike automotive applications it appears the pad material on the pads for our bikes is roughly the same thickness as the backing plate! It never hurts to replace brakes, but if the replacements are the nearly the same thickness any benefit will likely be short-lived. Just saying.

Another thing I found a bit surprising is my disc is a bit rough looking in appearance which on a car usually means the pads are toast, but Willy says that's normal. I too wish had better brakes. The KZ650sr I used to own had triple discs and stopped much better than the Eli, but was not as fast. WTF is wrong with Kawasaki putting these bull$hit brakes on such quick bikes?

8. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Bean counting, Accountants 4 sure I bet? Plus Managers usually do not ride bikes, even their own products either! If they did we have better brakes.

9. Ed

Ed Member

You're not getting the full potential from a disc brake until you get close to overheating it. The more energy converted to heat, the greater the rate of deceleration. For street use, a mid size bike can get all the braking force needed from a single disc. You just need more pressure to create more friction. The simplest way to do that is to use a master cylinder with a smaller piston/bore.

10. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

It took 40 miles of riding and gentle application of the brakes to bed the pads in, once or twice I*had to pull on the brakes harder than I would have liked, but I think they are bedded in now!

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Stock brake cal/pads ftn/rear are the same size on the ZL 9 & 10. The stock pads from www.partzilla.com are the same price as EBC brand. I wouldn't buy a brand that I never heard of.

12. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Well I got an Amazon voucher for £75 and everything I got had to fit in this amount, Engine Oil, Rear drive oil, Fork oil seals, Osram Night-Breaker headlight bulb, Oil filter, and seeing the brake pads were on special offer I thought Hey Ho! Almost a full service for the money given. so I will try the pads and see how they pan out, if I end up in a ditch, I will contact the makers and complain! Or get some Hob-nailed boots like they did in the 1930s and 1940s and put my feet down to assist in coming to a halt!