1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Fork question

Wissler Jul 11, 2019

1. Wissler

Wissler Senior Member Supporting Member

Ok, I'm working on my red 900 to get it on the road finally
    Fork seals were toast but the bike came with another nice set of forks and a new in the box set of Progressive springs.
    I took the nice forks, springs and a set of new seals to the shop that did my 1000 several years ago and they told me they needed them "on the bike" to set the pre-load
    I explained that they didn't need them on my other bike and he replies that I'm mistaken.
    WTF??

Do they really need them on the bike??
    Do I trust them to do the Progressive swap??

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: What pre-load. They just want to charge you more money.

3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Absolutely not Mark! The only pre-load there is the 2 and a quarter inch long piece of PVC pipe you'll put on top of the springs. You're pretty handy Bro......I'd just do them yourself Mark.....they're not hard at all. I can send you my # and walk you through them when you get ready to do them.

R. J. likes this.
  4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Did they quote you a price with them on the bike. Did you tell them that the forks are old school conventional ones. I've never done a set myself. I always get my friend Ron A to do my forks. I have one leaking a bit on my ZL 10. I have new seals and dust caps along with 30 weight Belray fork oil. Ron charges me $25 labor to do a set of forks.

5. Wissler

Wissler Senior Member Supporting Member

Thanks Mark, I'll let you know. Working 12 hr days plus Saturday doesn't leave me much time.

RJ, They quoted me $150. Another shop by my house (Action Powersports) told me $300. I just laughed at the guy in his face, Loudly!

I'm gonna check with Ron at Milwaukee Cycle Salvage. He's old school and a friend of a friend, maybe he'll cut me a deal....

R. J. likes this.
  6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Tell him that you know a guy who knows a guy that is also named Ron that does forks for $25. :laughing7:.

PTPopz813 likes this.