1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Fork overhaul oil weight

Eastwood Dec 29, 2018

1. Eastwood

Eastwood Supporting Member

No air tools. I do have a cordless impact that may work. Have to run into town for a few things that I need then I hope to get started. Pulled a muscle in my neck/back and I’m not liking it. Old guy.

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Yes Eastwood. I've used two case hardened allen bolts about 4 inches long screwed in good and tight at the fender mount holes of the outer fork tubes. After screwing both bolts into the forks place them as to were the heads of the 2 allen bolts are not in the jaws of the vice. A while back I bought these two vice holding aids for doing fork maintenance and anything else to prevent maring up stuff. They cost about $14 a set. You can buy a good quality set of metric long arm T handle and or long arm sockets. Or you can buy long reach allen wrenches. I use a box end wrench to get more leverage to break loose really tight allen bolts. You can buy them at a welding supply store or a machine shop supply store._______________ IMG_7280.JPG IMG_7282.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  3. Eastwood

DA0BDA74-180C-4183-8E99-36ADDA367183.jpeg Got the Allen bolt loose. Had me worried for awhile. First I made sure I had the head cleaned off for a good fit with the Allen. Had a 6mm allen that I cut down to 1 1/4 inch and fit to a 6mm socket. My cordless impact didn’t have the nuts to loosen so I tried my ratchet and that just felt like I was stripping the head. Lucky for me a buddy here in town had a air impact. Hit it a couple of times and still nothing, so I went back to the ratchet and bingo. Break time for now then back at it.

4. Eastwood

R.J. Do the bolts keep the inner from turning?

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Yes. IMG_7285.JPG IMG_7286.JPG IMG_7287.JPG IMG_7288.JPG IMG_7289.JPG

6. Eastwood

Understand the use of the bolts. Are those pages from the supplement manual? I have the GPZ and the supplement manual on the home computer. Never did open up the supplement when I was looking a few weeks back. I now have bolt springs out and done working for the day. That went well. Figured I would look over my replacement parts and wouldn’t you know it, no where to be found. Double triple checking boxes to the point of giving up thinking they somehow made it into the trash. So I go into the house and do a search of the catch all shelf. Wife says she looked up there and they are not there. I then open the cabinet above and sure enough. She now has a Charlie horse.

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Yes they are from the ZL 9/10 Service Manual Supplement. I've done that myself. Not remembering if I ordered parts or not. :pain10:. Place an order & end up finding them at a later date. :banghead:. So now I have 8 different folders with all the recites with the dates when I received the parts. I also take pics of all the parts. I have boxes written on with what parts that I have with the dates received written on all the boxes.

8. Eastwood

DDFA920E-5EC5-45B9-A4EC-2FC338D79AC4.jpeg Both drain bolts out finally. First came out without much hassle. Second striped the head. Used some penetrating oil and some heat on the bolt to get it out. Sometimes you just have to walk away for a day or two then go back at it with fingers crossed. Going to order two new bolts before I reassemble. Somehow I received the wrong fork oil seals. Should have been 92049-1230. Received 92049-1481. Looked back over the parts diagram and I couldn’t even find 92049-1481 listed. Invoice noted old SKU 92049-1240 also not listed. Going to check with the supplier on this.

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Those bolts can really be frozen up sometimes but I've never had one strip out yet. The Craftsman allen socket I use is just long enough to reach it and always pops it right outta' there. Those small copper washers can stick up in the hole too if you ain't careful. Order new washers while you're at it.

10. Eastwood

Got them Markus. I’ve had these parts from back in September. Old and slow about getting around to things any more.

Attached Files:

11. Eastwood

Placed a order last night for new drain bolts and the correct oil seals. Not sure how I ended up with these. The part number isn’t even listed on the parts diagram. Looked back at my order history with the dealer and it show that I ordered them. Dealer said they would give me a in store credit on a purchase of items in store but no refund. 14 beans. I’ll find something.

12. Eastwood

89B7447E-F120-41E9-80C6-76019600C58F.jpeg

Attached Files:

13. Eastwood

Finished the overhaul. Not to bad of a job. Thanks guys for your tips. Feels much better.