1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Flywheel turning

R. J. Mar 2, 2015

1. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I might start turning/lightening flywheels. Not sure if any of you have ever had one done. What it does is your bike will rev up quicker especially coming out of corners. Depending on how much you remove, the more the quicker it Revs. I only go 2 MM deep. In my option that is the max because after 2 MM you loose torque. Here is the flywheels from my Yamaha YFM 350 XC Sport Quad. I have a spare for if I want to go back to stock. The smaller one is off of my Suzuki DR 200 SE. Pic #1 is of 2 flywheels the one on the right as being stock & the one on the left is turned down 2 MM deep. The part sticking up pics up the spark for the pic up coil. Pic #2 & 3 is stock & pic #4 thru 10 are turned down. Pic #12 shows the pic up coil striker in the middle of the flywheel. Pic #9 also shows the very edge of the TDC mark. Most of it was removed. When the pic up coil striker is in the middle of the flywheel it takes almost twice as long to turn down because you need to re position the lathe platform/table for turning down the flywheel/magneto.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Riding 2 up through the hills of Pittsburgh kind of lends itself to keeping all that rotating mass right where its at. Thanks anyways.

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: It mostly benefits old school 4 stroke dirt bikes, duel sport bikes & ATV. Also some older street bikes.

4. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

RJ knows his ol school....it helped his Bultaco back in 1961 he won state hill climb:rotf::rr:

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: At age 3 I took the World Championship on a Bultaco 360 Pursang in the Widow-maker 500 CC Open Class. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

6. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

:yeahthat::rotf::rr::headbang: yeah yeah u ugly at 3/.....:rotf:

7. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Maybe we can get Jarney to put all the RJ tales together in one thread :laughing7:

8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: This Thread is about cutting flywheels you smart A holes. :laughing7: