1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Engineering / Design / 3D CAD Modeling - Custom Parts

dirtdiverkf Mar 24, 2012

1. dirtdiverkf

dirtdiverkf Active Member Supporting Member

I know I am new here but I wanted to let you all know I plan on staying and hopefully active if work allows. I plan on building some ZL 900s with a guy in town so we will use this place alot. Anyway, I am a mechanical engineer and have been designing for 15 years. I currently have 15 years of Pro Engineer experience and 7 plus years of SolidWorks experience. I have not done any design on bikes but I have worked on after market parts for hot rods and all sorts of other markets. I will drop a few images in to show a few examples and many more can be provided. If anyone here is needing a custom designed part to send to a machine shop to get CNC machined, I can help out. My bill rates are very affordable for design help so feel free to holler if you want some stuff modeled up.

I can also do quick 2d / 3d designs for laser cut if you want custom emblem plates for bikes.

Thanks again, let me know if you need me. 30.jpg 11.jpg 21.jpg paintball_goggle.jpg motorhome2.jpg spinal_implant_worm_gear.jpg 2.jpg

2. Blagadán

Blagadán Moderator Moderator

A 3D cad model of a ZL900 would be cool...

:evil:

3. dirtdiverkf

yeah that would be cool, but would take alot of time. I will be building a 900 soon from ground up, so if there are some internals that I should reverse engineer while in the process let me know and I will, that way ZL OA will have the 3d model here if any of us need to get some parts machined. I dont know the availability of parts for these bikes, but I am sure there are probably some parts that you struggle to find, just shoot me the list here and ill get a model of them during the build, thanks.

4. jmassengill

jmassengill Supporting Member Technical Author

dirtdiverkf,
    do you know anyone who does Rapid Prototyping and has the equipment? It could/might be a way to get new plastic parts made for plastic parts Kawasaki no longer offers......

5. dirtdiverkf

yes sir i do, i have done a lot of jobs requiring SLA (rapid prototyping) and use to work for a company that does it full time. I also have a friend that teaches at Auburn University that only charges cost to run parts, however, their parts arent as nice as you get elsewhere. SLA parts thos would have to be strictly appearance only, they cant take much of a load or torque without breaking. in the case we found a part that we could all use, we could have a SLA made then create a silicone mold and pour true plastic into that mold to make several parts, they would be stronger than the prototype itself.

do you have an idea of the parts that could be useful here?

6. jmassengill

As far as parts that might be good for that would be ZL600(1986)/900 headlight bucket and the side covers for the 600/900/1000. I have a ZL600 with a broken headlight bucket and a broken side cover. I have repaired the headlight bucket and I can get the side cover to bolt on with a large enough washer but I would love new parts and those are no longer made by Kawasaki.

I can't speak for the side covers, but the headlight buckets, used, are very expensive, even if cracked or broken on ebay.

How much would it be to make a mold and how hard would it be to make the plastic part?

I know just enough about 3D rapid prototyping to be dangerous..

7. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

found this on ebay for ya Bro !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X82-KAWASAK...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc29ce12c&vxp=mtr

8. jmassengill

Chris,
    I saw that one and considered it but I'm put off by the cracks going through the mount hole that holds the chrome ring/Headlight to the bucket.
    It might be a good part to have...."just in case".....Something is better than nothing!

Thanks Chris!

9. dirtdiverkf

not sure on cost, i would have to get a friend of mine to quote it based on a 3d model i give him. if i had a bucket here i could model it pretty damn close, but if you want exact original i would have to first get a 3d scan of the bucket (roughly 500 bucks) then model it and get a sla done (another 400 to 600 bucks) then look at a silicone mold. if i had to guess, the mold would be around 1200 to 1500 (might be more) and each part would cost about 20 bucks to pour. this is all guess but that is probably a good ball park.

if your part has cracked, it worries me that an sla would not do the trick, would need to be real plastic. how much would the average guy here pay for a bucket or side cover? and how many would buy, that would be the determining factor, and i have no problem doing the modeling and getting quotes but i could not front the 3d scan, i could model something close for quotes tho.

10. jmassengill

ouch....wow...too rich for my poor blood.

*sigh* I wish I was rich rather than soooooo good looking.....

Thank you for the information

11. dirtdiverkf

Ok, since my last visit to the forum, I have been researching silicone molding and part casting. I have decided to acquire the equipment and set up my garage at home for silicone molding. If there is a need here for head light bezels and side covers, I need to know how many people would buy them if the cost was like 50 bucks or close to that? I would not be chroming the parts, but sure i can find someone that could.

Are there any other parts that are needed by many? Plastic or rubber?

12. ponytail mike

ponytail mike Active Member

Here in the short future we should talk. It shouldn't be to long before I have my shop done.You make up proto drawing&prints,and I can do the machine work for the members.I have all the machines and 30+years in machining,aircraft,oil feild,production and am a set-up master-craftsman.There is a new place here in tulsa I used that does 3-d proto milling useing plastic&wood for set-up parts.Is'nt good being a smart ol fart.

13. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Welcome to the site! Thanks for your offer, keep in mind that if you need any help with your project there is a lot of expertise available on this site.

There are many parts on these bikes that are no longer available; for example, the plastic chrome horn covers for the ZL1000 weren't attached well at the factory, there is a market for those. There are also several aftermarket parts in aluminum that are popular, valve cover block off plates and fork braces come to mind, as well as the ZL1000 luggage rack, which is chromed steel. Sure there are many more, you could be busy for a LONG time...:headbang:

14. Bozang1

Bozang1 Well-Known Member

Just curious what happened to all of this...

15. dirtdiverkf

i am here if anyone wants to talk about design support or 3d modeling. however, the horn cover i looked into would be 150 bucks cost because of the chrome plating at low qty is expensive, so i never went forward with it cause of cost.

16. chuck c

chuck c Member

Rather than trying to 3d scan, 3d model, and 3d print a headlight bucket to make a mold, just pull a mold from a good one. There are places that do aluminized coatings so you can get one that looks original. It's still quite involved for a low quantity item.