1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Engine paint/ best color match

badbrad Dec 31, 2018

1. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

0C92F1E3-B246-4848-8061-CD619464DA16.jpeg Well, after letting my bike set up for so long it looks like gas leaked out and took Some of the paint off my engine block. What paint is out there today that is the best match once it is prepped and ready to accept paint?

Anybody know the perfect match?

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: PJ1 Fast Black 500*F engine paint in satin black. It says it resists gas. I used it on my Sons EL 250. $15 for a 12 oz rattle can from E-bay. IMG_6885.JPG

zrxwest likes this.
  3. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

There is a thread somewhere on here about it. There was lots of support for Satin Black PJ1 Fast black 500f engine and case paint. It's expensive and too flat of a sheen imho. The next time I need to freshen things up it will be a trip to the parts store for some ceramic engine paint in semi gloss if I can find it.
    Pick up 2 cans and degrease the hell out of it.

4. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

I would agree it’s in the satin family!

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It depends on how faded the paint is. The 250 Eliminator has only 1195 miles on it. I only had to paint a small section on the left side of the cyn & it was a perfect match.

6. 87kawzl

The cylinder seems to take the paint different than the cases. The Pj1 matches that just fine but has nowhere near the sheen of the cases, starter, valve cover and things that were cast smooth. It looks flat on those parts and at $15/can they can keep it. I will go krylon or Rust-Oleum next time. IMG_20181231_143014.jpg
    See how it looks, that was 3 coats.

7. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

I agree that the covers, alternator and stuff like that are a different color but I’m looking just for the block.

What areas did you paint 3 coats on? Was it the covers?

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Each to his own. :notworthy:. Rust Oleum seems never to dry right. I've used it before & even rain drops affected it. Krylon to me is just as bad. To me $15 buys a better quality paint. You get what you pay for. :laughing7:. If I was going to do a ground up restoration on my ZL 10 I'd go with powder coating. That would cost about $300. :laughing7:. Plus you would have to take apart the whole motor which is what I'm doing with my 2 Honda 70s but they are really easy to tear down. Powder coat for each motor is $150.

9. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

I remember th Honda 70 days! You could beat the snot out of them and they would just run and run.

I would love to see pics when complete.

10. 87kawzl

Brad, I painted everything I could when I had the exhaust and carbs off.

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

12. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

The block doesn’t look to bad in your pictures and is the only place I have a little paint missing from the gas leaking so I’ll give it a try!

Thanks
    Brad

13. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

14. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

I am trying the Dupli-color semi-gloss black engine paint. The carbs are off (Thanks Rick!) and the exhaust is slowly coming off. I am going to brush finish the silver parts of the engine case and use the satin Clear VHT to cover those parts.... I will let you guys know how it turns out!

zrxwest likes this.