1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooling System Cuz I'm Cool

JohnH#II Mar 11, 2019

1. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

Ok, down to the problem so far.
    Looking around on here I have gained some valuable info on doing the cooling system. Have a lot of New hoses. New cap. Now I have run into a stump. My thermostat housing. When I stared I noticed that one of the sensors wire had broke off. The the other one was cracked. The PO told me that it was running hot some times. I have had several Zl900's so I know how to cure that or at least bandaid it, lol. The one with no wire is solid in the housing the other was cracked halfway off. And yes, I compiled the crack. I have looked on the eBay. There are a few that appear about the same. Are the sensors obtainable? And that o-ring around the thermostat? Being that I broke it I went ahead and took it apart and the o-ring looks almost flat. Might hold, might not.

Attached Files:

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Which sensor is it front or back. I have about 10 used ones & a few new ones. Also the senors from newer KAWS will work . They use flat blade spade connectors. If going with newer style you will have to change the connector on your wiring harness.

4. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

I will need both sensors because the front sensor is broke off with a piece still in the housing and on the rear sensor the wire was already detached with no wire remaining.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I'll see if I have 2 of each. If so I'll be able to send you 1 of each. .

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

By the looks of the housing shown in pics, you need another one since that piece is gonna' be nearly impossible to get out of there without tearing it up anyway.

7. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

That's what I was thinking. I like to fix things but sometimes it not worth it.

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

You could try drilling and using an easy out. Lots of times the heat from drilling loosens up the siezed threads.

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I have a housing, let me know if you're interested.

10. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

That is exactly what I did yesterday. The internal sensor material just disintegrates when you take a drill bit to it. Most of the brass outer part came out with a Easy-out. Being I had little options I taped it and put an automotive brass plug in that hole and the rear has the sensor with no wire. Plan was to hard wire the fan to a manual switch temporary till I could get a housing and/or replacement sensors. Got all new hoses, O-rings, cap. Had the radiator cleaned and pressure tested at a local radiator shop. Got most of it mocked up yesterday. Should finish today. Will post some pictures later.

11. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

Yes. I am interested. Does it have the sensors? I have a new cap.

12. markus56

It doesn't have sensors in it but is otherwise complete. R.J. was offering the sensors so lets see what he has but if he's lacking, I believe I have some spare used ones.

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I checked my spare parts today & I only have one of each sensor so I don't have any that I could let you have.

14. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

No luck from RJ. If you find anything in your parts let me know. Will go with hard wired fan switch till I can find some.

15. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

Thanks for looking RJ. I will hard wire the fan to run off a switch and just keep looking. Not a speedy process anyway. Still doing other stuff also.

16. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

So today was sort of progressive then backwards. I will tell you what I have done.

So I got the radiator cleaned and pressure tested at a local shop. A surch on this form, I sourced some new hoses, O-rings and filler cap. All found at local parts places. Then I commenced to plumbing the zl. I got 2 hoses PN: E71046 and that did every rubber link. I did get a PN: 71651 hose but ended up not using it. Will keep it as spare upper radiator hose. Filler cap PN: 10227. The housing has a plug in the front sensor location and the rear is a sensory with no wire. Fan to be hard wired. Put the battery in the zl and that is when I went backwards. Nothing. 12+V on battery then to the sulinoid on battery side and that's where power stops. Another day, another day . This is my money pit for now. At least I still have 2 hogs , a Yamahog and Another Kaw to ride .

Attached Files:

17. markus56

I'm almost positive I have some sensors and will look them up over the weekend and get back to you.

18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

19. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

Ok. Great! I would rather have it work as designed. If you find them, I will take them and the thermostat housing you mentioned earlier. Now I just have to figure out why the old girl went dead. Probably something disconnected while working on it that I overlooked.

20. JohnH#II

JohnH#II New Member

Yep the first link helped me out a lot. I had to cross ref the numbers but I got basicly the same hoses. Then the second link I read for familiarizing myself with the cooling system. This site has been a blessing of knowledge.