1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning sludge off of top of pistons?

ARCHIVE_Elimax Dec 7, 2006

1. ARCHIVE_Elimax

ARCHIVE_Elimax Guest

Anybody have any tips re. what products/tools to use to removed the sludge (I believe it to be carbon buildup) from the tops of my pistons, as well as on the valves, of my 1985 ZL900?

Thanks very much!

Aaron

2. ARCHIVE_Shlim1

ARCHIVE_Shlim1 Guest

Just how much carbon are you talking about??

3. ARCHIVE_Elimax

ARCHIVE_Elimax Guest

About 1 to 2 mm thick, at most.

4. To be honest, for that small amount, I would just leave it where it is. In the great scheme of things its actually very little, but if you feel that you must then go gently with a scraper and finish off with scotchbrite or those plastic pan scourers or similar. Make sure that you don't leave any big scratches in any of the surfaces, otherwise the metal that is scraped up (high spots) will create 'hotspots' Also watch out for bits of debris falling down the sides of the pistons and fouling the ring slots.

KK