1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Exhaust Down pipes

Trojan441 Jul 10, 2019

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

There s some rust n' burned on crap, but I wondered had anyone got any preferences when doing the job, Toilet cleaner can be dismissed b'cos the ones that work contain Hydrochloric acid. I have Apple Vinegar, Oven cleaner, Aluminium foil at my disposal & Petrol-diesel mixture, plus at the end chrome cleaner, known here as Autosol n' composite scouring pads but not wire wool!

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Liquid lighter fluid & 0000 steel wool

3. Trojan441

Okay, problem in Y-UK is we have lost almost all our hardware stores n' some stuff common to U has been banned 4 sale under terrorism laws n' EU pollution Environment stuff, but Lighter fluid I definitely can get n' steel wool of a fine grade, I might b able to get! with a search round.

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Even with the very fine steel wool, you still have to use a very light hand since it will dull the chrome otherwise.

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  6. Trojan441

Thanks R. J. you R a Star!

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Glad to help. :notworthy:. Years ago I'd get mowers from the street that people was throwing away. I'd clean the chrome up using coke and 0000 steel wool. Some I'd repaint the mover deck. I'd sell them for $80 to $120. Most of the time they had corroded carburetors from sitting. One year I sold 60 push mowers. I made around $6 K. Man did I meet some werid and strange People. Some was losers. They wanted a mower for nothing. They always had some sorry story.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019