1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Chrome side covers (even with broken pins if thats whats available) ZL900

4mermxer Mar 14, 2019 at 10:38 PM

1. 4mermxer

4mermxer New Member

Looking for the chrome side covers for my 86 ZL900. Even if they have broken mounting pins. Would prefer nice outer surface at least. NOS, used, broken pins, matters not. Thanks

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Very hard to come by these days.......good luck with your search.

3. 4mermxer

4mermxer New Member

Picked up a right side cover. Still need left. If anyones intersted, I designed a fix for broken pins.

4. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Man you should of posted up 2 days ago. I tossed 3 with broken pins in the trash.

5. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

He did

6. 4mermxer

4mermxer New Member

No worries. Keep it in mind. I made a dozen kits to repair the pins on the covers... I am an engineer by trade, and own a 3D printer... It's my crock-rock :) I have reverse engineered a lot of parts for one of my ZL's if I should black it out. I supposed printing the entire cover is the next step. Getting anything chromed is a beotch tho. I am using a brilliant silver auto paint and clear coat. Not chrome but better than nothing I suppose. It actually helps make a good case for murdering my 86 out. I'm only lacking an OEM left side airbox cover at this point. I also printed a couple of air filter retainers too... I needed on for my 86 and couldn't find any... That little slidey thing that holds the air filter in place. Anywho, thanks for chiming in.

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Do you think the ZL 10 chrome horn covers can be done on a 3 D printer. We had a member that was going to do it but he is MIA.

8. 4mermxer

4mermxer New Member

I already did a few sets. They were about a 7 out of 10 IMO. One thing that I can say about those is that they are available still via EBay, etc. I think I read that the ZLOA is really not a fan of EBay... I just checked Ebay and there are no less than 4 really cheap... For what it's worth. I added text to the forward facing concave surface of the ones I made that says "KAWASAKI" above and "ELIMINATOR" below. Those looked pretty decent. When I get a chance, I will post some pics if anyone is interested in seeing them. The fork covers and swing arm pivot covers turned out really nice.

I stepped away for a moment and found the SolidWorks rendering of my design. It's a rendered image, but gives the idea. I tried to attach it... The rendering looks molded, you can tell that mine is printed, but you get the idea.

I also printed some covers for an old 750H2 the other day and am working on the inner fairing liner on a Z1R. Like I said, "crack-rock"... Horn Cover Rendering.png

Harriminator likes this.
  9. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

now we are talking... getting rid of the chrome air filter covers is right up my road!

10. 4mermxer

4mermxer New Member

Well, ill keep the group posted as i get more stuff done. Ive had good luck with ABS and Nylon media so far