1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

carb's from rick west!

1 red zl9 Nov 10, 2012

1. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

:D finnally got my new airbox boots 2 day, put those on and yes markus u were rite about new being so much easier. it took me over an hour with a few choice words just 2 get # 3 on and that's went i went inside 2 order 1 2 and 4, what a difference those new one's made. put on tank with new pingle and uni air fiter, buttoned everthing up opened the fuel valve, seen no leaks. turned on the ignition, crossed my finger's and BINGO! didn't even choke it and it fired up after 5 seconds of cranking idiling just ass smooth as a baby's ass. took it 4 just a quick spin around the block and it run's better then ever! if anybody ever want's there carb's done send them 2 oldskool carbs, he is the best when it comes 2 how they run and look! my hat's off 2 him. now i just wish i had some warmer weather 2 go open that bad boy up which im sure there's probably a few day's left but there's nothing like summer cruising on a well running ZL9!!!! DAMM I'M FRICKIN HAPPY!:D:D:D:D :cool:

2. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Noice! Great feeling when hard work and $$ spent pays off! Enjoy!

R. J. likes this.
  3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Congrats Bro..........nothing like that feeling of accomplishment!!:notworthy: :thumbsup:

4. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup:

5. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Congrats Bro !!!

6. 1 red zl9

had the time after work yesterday 2 open up the throttle on my local parkway, (local test track):laughing7: and what a difference in smothness and accelarating! no problem starving 4 fuel at 9 ounces per minute hence the pingle, nice piece. carb's from rick. pingle, uni air filter,3 new air duct's cuz there was no way # 3 was coming back off after what i went trough 2 get it on:angryfire: seemed like i needed 2 hold on 2 the grip's a little tighter:laughing7: but that's what i was looking 4 in the first place! luv them big zl's speed shifting at 10 grand. what a rush!:HappyFacePuttFrnt7K

7. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

:thumbsup: ALWAYS GOOD TO GET OUT AND CRACK THE THROTTLE OPEN!!!!!:headbang:

8. JR1337

JR1337 Active Member

YEp, I might send mine his way if I cant sort them out myself, they are leaking gas. Hopefully just needs float height adjusted.

9. 1 red zl9

do yourself a favor and send 2 oldskool! and by the way my parent's live in hartwood va.:laughing7:

10. JR1337

JR1337 Active Member

That will be my last resort, because I KNOW Rick will do them right and I wont have any more trouble with them. But I want to try, because I would prefer to be completely self reliant. When the zombie Apocalypse comes, and its just me, my shotgun, and my zl, I wont be able to send them off to Rick ;)

11. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Hang in there JR. I will be doing a carb doc with pics real soon. I have them all tore apart on the dining room table now and pics this far. Just need to snap a few pics of cleaning and then write up the doc. meanwhile get yourself some JIS screwdrivers :thumbsup:

R. J. likes this.
  12. JR1337

JR1337 Active Member

Cant wait!, I took em all down no problem without the JIS drivers, but I also have an assload of different screwdrivers because I work on lots of electronics.

13. jhawkins

jhawkins Member

Hi

I found the settings that you (zlMark) said to put them at in the ZL900 stock jetting specs. This is what i have in now. This is the way i got it.
    The only way i can get her to start is to use starter fluid then she will start with no prob.When i give her some gas she bogs down then gets up and goes.
    Any help would be great.

P.S. ZlMark don't know if you rember me or not. I was in Ohio with Jim (jgonzo) I had the red Vulcan Vaquero.

Pilot jet #40
    Needle clip position not adjustable with factory parts (unless shimming)
    Main jet #125
    Air Screws 2 1/8 turns out
    Float height 17mm + or - .5mm

14. jhawkins

jhawkins Member

It does not seem like it does anything when i use the choke.

15. salamander

salamander Active Member

That sounds like nothing even close to right. When you move the choke lever, does the slide at the carbs move (ie, broken cable, or incorrect cable tension)? If the cable seems to control the slide ok, you may have blocked lines in the carbs that are supposed to run extra fuel when the choke's on -- but that would mean all of them are blocked ... seems unlikely.

16. jhawkins

jhawkins Member

I took the carbs apart tonight. I am cleaning the needles and going to blow some air in the line to see if that helps.

17. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Hang tight and have a look at my tech doc in progress on carbs. I'll try to get it on by the weekend

R. J. likes this.
  18. salamander

salamander Active Member

+1 on waiting for the tech doc. I followed a written description zlMark gave on carb cleaning and everything worked out really well.

19. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

I too, would love to know how carbs work and not take the easy way out. It is SOOOOOO good to have someone that will invest the time to document these frisky lil bears.

20. wickedzl900

wickedzl900 Senior Member Supporting Member

thanks for the kind words,,, rick