1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

CARB CLEANING SERVICE ,ultrasonic cleaning

wickedzl900 Nov 15, 2007

1. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

Man knows his carbs!

I just hate a stunk up his entire shop because mine were real bad!

Brad

2. wickedzl900

wickedzl900 Senior Member Supporting Member

doing these for $145 for forum members... stripping factory paint is $50 more

PTPopz813, R. J. and Cory Smith like this.
  3. wickedzl900

i stripped these, took forever

Attached Files:

4. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

New
    doing these for $145 for forum members... stripping factory paint....

Okay, I heard you loud and clear! 1000 carbs are coming off this week and may can run them by to you on Friday if you are going to be around!

I will be in Charlotte this week working.

Brad

5. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

Any of you have non ethanol gas around you? I found a station locally that has it for a decent price. I’m going to try and burn nothing but.

Seeing that these bikes have had zero miles in 4 years, Maybe that will be my bike exercise to keep the carbs clean! I’ll just go back and forth to the ethanol station.

6. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

I use non-ethanol fuel in both of my bikes; but at each fill up I pour 2 oz of TC-W3 outboard motor oil to help coat the inside of the fuel tanks and prevent the jets in the carbs from gumming up.

badbrad likes this.
  7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Non-ethanol here in Central FL is $2.85/gal. I have 5 Stations to choise from that are all within 15 minutes of my Home.

8. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Any problems with plug fouling or smoking exhaust?

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I wished I did have a non ethanol station close......that's all I'd run. PRfixer, I was wondering the same thing.

10. ZipRoar

ZipRoar Active Member

11. RLTherio

RLTherio Well-Known Member

No problems at all. And I keep the fuel tanks full during the winter months which are in storage.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I use K 100 fuel treatment & stabilizer. It's pricy at $26 for one 32 oz. bottle but it lasts me about 4 years or so. IMG_6923.JPG

13. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

OK, so I have my carbs in a box..... ready to ship out! where do I ship them to and how do I pay for this service.... man the rotten fuel that came out of these carbs drove my wife off the car port. It was yellow/brownish and smelled real nasty. Oh well, that is what 11 year old fuel smells like!

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Ricks address & phone # is on the first page of this thread. I sent him a money order.

15. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

Wow, 11 years! I thought mine was the worse smell ever at 4 years. Good luck, just got mine back running and Rick is the best!

16. PTPopz813

PTPopz813 Member

Yeah, the original owner had the bike parked in his driveway when a windstorm came and took out a tree branch that knocked the bike over. Once he got all the branches cleaned up he stood the bike back up and it would not crank. He parked the bike in his garage with the idea that some time he would fix it. That was 2006 or 2007. The tags on the bike read 2007 when I pulled them off the bike. The damage was not bad, mostly cosmetic. I couple of dents in the tank, it broke the clutch master off the handle bars, tool out the choke lever on the multi-function switch, and bent the handle bars. the reason it would not crank was the tranny safety switch on the underside of the tranny was disconnected. So I am slowly bringing this beast back to life. Picking up parts here and there to get it back into shape.... the carbs are next.

17. badbrad

badbrad Senior Member

Check that tank out real good as I am having to clean mine just after 4 years. I have not decided if I’m going to use evaporust or the “ works” toilet bowl cleaner. The works did a fantastic job on my other tank but it flashed over instantly with light rust so had to do it again and put some marvels mystry oil inside the tank and swished it around.

I would like to hear what others have good results with!

18. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: About a year ago Rick done my ZL 10 carbs along with 5 other sets. After about 8 months of riding I went to drain my carbs & my float bowl drains would not drain. Rust from my fuel tank made its way past my inline Pingal fuel filter. Since the carbs was off my bike I went ahead & had the rails & vacuum slide lids powder coated. Yesterday I picked up my ZL 10 carb parts from my powder coat guy. Cost $50. They was done in BMW silver which is spot on for Kaw silver & the carb clamps was done in gloss black. IMG_6953.JPG

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  19. wickedzl900

those look nice, fact of business i can't do these for $145 mailing parts out my cost here and make any kind of living

20. wickedzl900

brad there are soo many messages here i missed yours,, let me know if you want to drop your carbs off, rick