1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing a 79' XS11 Special back to life

87kawzl Aug 6, 2019

1. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Rear brakes are done. I picked up a length of oil cooler line so it will have oil in it soon then probably cleaning switches. Before the vac it used to be a length of silicone fish tank air tubing for bleeding.

I need to find a piece of tubing to fit the petcock, one was missing. The fuel system is almost there otherwise.

2. 2manybikes

2manybikes Supporting Member

Any updates? No mercy here! :whistling:

3. 87kawzl

Update coming.... Carbs delayed cause someone showed me the tees made of plastic are better off being replaced by aluminum.... can't wait to hear her running.

4. 87kawzl

Oil cooler is on and she has a belly full of Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil.

Rick gave me some bad news about the carbs, bad diaphragms...he placed them on order and they will be good as new soon. They don't come cheap. IMG_20200118_105955.jpg

R. J. likes this.
  5. 2manybikes

Sorry to hear about the diaphragms, at least they are not obsolete. Looking for repair parts that have been out of production for eons is a pain. I have been very lucky to find most of what I've needed over the years. Other than the carbs, is everything else ready?

6. 87kawzl

I still have a petcock missing a nipple. It's an odd size OD but the plan is to get a barbed brass nipple, Chuck it up in the drill and sand it down with 80 grit to a good OD then glue it in with some JB weld.

I'll have to fit a couple of fuel filters in since my screens are beat.

I'm getting close with the limited time there is available to work on it.

7. 2manybikes

That is VERY close indeed! I have some small clear fuel filters I use on most of my bikes. The 79 is not here, but I'm fairly certain I placed them between the intake boots for a less cluttered look. I change them annually so inspecting them is not an issue for me. There is likely room to raise them up to where you could see them easier and still use the same location. YMMV

8. 87kawzl

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  9. 2manybikes

Almost identical. I don't ride hard that often but I've never noticed any hesitation. ( From the bike that is!)

10. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I use the same one only with a 90 instead of straight.

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Just don't buy them from Harbor Freight. I used to use that same style on our small dirt bikes and they came apart.

12. 2manybikes

These are the two brands I have been using. I prefer the K&N, but only because I've been using them longer. Like Markus, I too have a bike that requires the 90 degree filter. I keep an assortment for 1/4" amd 5/16" ID lines. IMG_6676.jpg IMG_6803.jpg

13. 87kawzl

I kinda like the screen vs the stone. They seem to be easier to tell if things are getting nasty on the incoming fuel.

14. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I prefer the brass filters. I've had the others come apart when they get old.

15. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Senior Member

I use a Russel Brass filter,, cleanable !
    [​IMG]

R. J. likes this.
  16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  17. 87kawzl

These bikes are tight with the octopus coming from the diaphragm, tucking the cone filters between the intake boots looks like the way to go...thanks for the input. Advance Auto carries the cones with brass good for ethanol e85 fuel.

R. J. likes this.
  18. 87kawzl

Floats are officially "sinkers" this rack of carbs were a mess, no wonder someone sat it in the corner...or maybe something else went South then it was parked then the carbs rotted...let's hope for the first. Replacement floats incoming. SANY1220.jpg SANY1185.jpg

Pics from the bench of Rick West, I sure don't make things easy on him with the crap I send over.

19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Worst looking carbs that I've ever seen. :laughing7:.

20. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Damn, Rick earning every penny to bring them back to life!