1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Beware Gravity; Cam Tunnel N' Exhausrt removal!

Trojan441 Jul 8, 2019

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Almost 40 years ago working on a 4 valve Honda single, a tiny adjuster nut fell out of the jaws of the spanner n' down the Cam chain tunnel on this night, a magnetised screw driver rescued us n' I avoided a major strip down. Today I started to do the valve clearances. I found a tiny 10 BA spanner fitted the adjustment square n' an 8 mm spanner for the nut! Everything was going okay 0.13 mm Inlet 0. 18 mm Exhaust. I avoided taking the petrol tank off as the diaphragm has gone in the petcock n' I can't stop the fuel flow n' there was 12 1/2 Litres in the tank! So I was just looking forward to he last couple of adjustments n' I smelt petrol n' there it was leaking as the pipe suddenly split, it was renewed last year. I panicked lent forward to grab a container to catch my precious expensive fuel to see in horror my BA spanner flick across the Cylinder head n' down the central camshaft chain tunnel! Why hadn't I stuffed a rag in there I thought? Humans are slow to learn I reflected!

So I thought strip everything off n' remove the Sump pan, so I did until I came to remove the exhausts, the Balance pipe I have had to soak because it wouldn't free I suspecr rhis is the first strip down since being assembled in 1986/87, so will leave the Balance pipe overnight , but I didn't know until this afternoon, that the four exhaust pipes, twinned in twos will not pull out through the triangulated front frame without persuasion! Just like the other end with the carburettors n' boots Air-Box issue and now on the exhaust side too, things are no longer simple, n' what should be 10 minute 30 minute jobs, turn into all day or maybe two affair! Is this a karmic retribution for WW2?

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Some days you are the windshield and some days you are the bug. Best to walk away when frustrated and come back calm and collected.

3. Trojan441

You are right, but I stripped everything down removed the sump and no spanner, so now I do not know where it flicked to!

4. Trojan441

Well on Sunny day two weeks ago approx' I managed to wheel the bike when the Sun was overhead and shining down the cam tunnel & there like a little trapped fishy was the spanner, so half an hour of fishing with various magnetised dooberry's & it came out. I had soaked the exhust system so that it separated into two by two now much easier to remove n' refit n' ordered 2 sets of exhaust "O" rings, they came n' then I started to reassemble n' with a friend do some electrical maintenance too! There is a picture of the offending spanner! The bottom end! Bike up on a block so tied the handlebars so if i caught them they wouldn't swing round n' cause the bike to fall! Givi screen worth it's weight in Gold! Painted rusty exhaust pipes but paint wasn't Extreme high temp only to 318 degrees F so is burning off! Rewired n' lubricated rear brake switch & the Oil pressure light switch which snapped as I released the Sump, "Fruit Gum warning light on Headlamp now works, first time ever in four years of ownership. Re wired the Radiator fan to a manual switch n' now it runs up the left side frame tube n' new spark plugs 2morrow NGK DR8ES. Just to temporarily reroute petrol pipe while I am awaiting a new petcock from a GPZ 550 which I hope will fit n' then I can repair the other one as a spare! I guess the bike hasn't had this much attention in it's entire Life. Here to riding again n' then I can go about rebuilding the ZL600A. Now dodgy slogan on inside "luckily" of my Kawasaki "T" shirt! Importantly second time round stuffed a rag in Cam tunnel gap, which i should have done first time round! 20190827_150432.jpg 20190827_150449.jpg 20190827_150545.jpg 20190827_150553.jpg 20190828_112958.jpg 20190901_171000.jpg 20190901_171027.jpg 20190901_171035.jpg 20190901_171601.jpg 20190903_170149.jpg 20190903_151906.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019 at 3:14 PM
  5. Trojan441

Having to strip all down again a new Exhaust "O" ring gasket seals, haven't sealed the Exhaust ports!