1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Starter Clutch

Dylan Apr 15, 2018

1. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Hello, I bought a 87 ZL600 last year as my first bike and I love it. Sad to say it started acting up a bit last fall and now refuses to start. It has a fresh battery, good connections, and I have tested the starter motor. The Issue I am experiencing is when you hit the starting switch you hear it turn one or two times, then hear a sound like rocks being bounced around/ground up.

My friend mentioned it might be the starter clutch bearing so I bought a new one of those and have it in my toolbox but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to gain access to this. Do you go up through the oil pan or is there a way to get at it from the side?

If I can do this without pulling the engine out that would be perfect as I don't have the garage space or tools necessary to remove the engine safely. If I had the money to take this to a local shop I would, but there is also something special about working on your vehicles yourself that is worth more then just having something fixed.

2. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Dylan likes this.
  3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: What year is your ZL 6. You can down load the manuls in the down load section. You should also buy the gear that the stater clutch grabs onto. If not the new clutch will prematurely go bad again.

4. Dylan

Dylan New Member

It is a 1987. I have downloaded the supplemental, service, base, and owners. all great resources but I am having trouble finding info on the starter clutch. maybe looking in the wrong parts. And thank you. I wouldn't have known to get the gear too as this is my first bike and I have never really worked with engines too much. Just swapped some basics on my old car before.

5. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Thanks for the link. I will have to look into it but the lower half of that engine seems a bit different. The bike i have has three side covers that can come off. One on the left for the stator. Two on the right, one for something in the ignition I believe (could very well be wrong) and a second for the clutch. I could be way off but I am wondering If I might be able to access it through the clutch? I will have to upload a few picks of it for reference and just to have it shown :)

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: You will also need the ZX 600 Base Manual.

7. Dylan

Dylan New Member

Thank you! this manual is a huge help.

8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: No problem. You are welcome. :notworthy: