1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Always the 3rd rod (not mine)

Harriminator Dec 28, 2018

1. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

$_59.JPG(22).jpg

$_59.JPG(24).jpg

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

One reason to be careful when replacing cdi boxes, some do not have the Rev limiter. Things can get ugly in a hurry with an oil slick in front of the rear tire when winding up the bike. Glad I've never experienced anything like that!

3. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

Just the excuse to go to 1200.

4. slug

slug Senior Member

Some ZLs have rev limiter? Pretty sure mine doesn’t I’ve done some horrible over revs missing gears...

5. Harriminator

When the 'red zone' is left behind it's getting better...:laughing7:

6. 87kawzl

I think the ZL has a limiter and the ZX boxes have none

7. slug

slug Senior Member

Why do you think that - have you or anyone else ever experienced rev limiting on their ZL?

8. Harriminator

I doubt that; ZX900, ZL900 and ZG1000 have all same CDI: 21119-1111.
    21119-1111.jpg

To eliminate the rev limiter must be changed something inside, I think... ign_comp_side.jpg

9. 87kawzl

10. slug

slug Senior Member

What on earth? Looks like some out of period SMT circuit board added in there?

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: When a motor implodes like that is that caused by hydro lock.

12. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

That wasn’t hydro lock, that was the #3 rod coming then the block.

R. J. likes this.
  13. Harriminator

I understand it as you were not in a gear when opening the throttle, so this was a short time revving up the engine and maybe you didn't reached the limiter...? A CDI w/out limiter makes no sense to me and the Japs know this as well (valve bouncing), you have to open full throttle for at least 3...5s in no-load operation to find out if the limiter responses by hearing the typical 'tat..tat..tat' of missing sparks

I compared all micro fiches I have on my Kaw-CD concerning ZX, ZL & ZG so they are all the same type no matter what building year; when the Japs change something a new number will be assigned. (I even don't understand this '...WILL ONLY FIT IN THE 83-85 Gpz750 models'...:dontknow:)

Nope, hydro lock looks more like this:
    19917478ns.jpg
    IMGP0469.jpg

The reason for this crack was a lack of oil lubrication like I was told once by Niek during a gathering; the holes in the crankshaft are getting smaller from the main bearing so this bearing #3 is undersupplied like the piston in this cylinder and on high revs it's just a Q of time till the mechanical demand is too strong for the material => either the rod bolt or the rod itself breaks. He told me that he drilled bigger holes into the crankshaft (not my biz) so I followed the instructions of ZLMark to raise the oil pressure & quantity and added a ZX-oil cooler on my modified ZL-pan. https://www.zl-oa.com/community/threads/oil-mods.17251/

:thumbsup:

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:
    :hello: OK: Thanks. Would this happen from using heavier weight oil. Since I live in FL I run 20w-50 Amsoil in my bike which is what was always used in my ZL 10. It came from a KAW Dealership in South FL. We used to call over reving floating the valves. Back in the 70s bikes had no rev limitter. You would feel a power drop. I was told that happens when the exhaust & intake valves try to open at the same time in return calling it floating the valves.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. slug

slug Senior Member

Yes that horrible sound of lazy throttle control...! So it seems I hear it in every second burnout video on YouTube, but I can’t recall ever hearing limiting in a ZL one? So my question remains, has anyone ever actually heard/experienced a ZL limiting?

16. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

For some reason I seem to remember our founder, zlmark , hitting the rev limiter at the drag strip one year when we were attending the vintage motorcycle show in Ohio. Markus56, can you second that or not. I keep thinking it happened when he was running against Greg C.

17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I've heard the rev limiter hit on my ZL 10 more than once. It happens just under red line.

18. paulfun

I used to peg the limiter on a regular basis back in the day.

19. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

yes Furchin, ZLMark hit the limiter at Dragway 42 that year.

20. paulfun

Not sure about the zl1 but the 9 wouldn’t hit the limiter till it was a good bit into the red. Sorry right now I just can’t remember exactly where it cut out.