1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

87 ZL-600 cutting out when down shifting

MaydayMark Mar 15, 2019

1. MaydayMark

MaydayMark New Member

Hey guys! I am new to the forum but have a 1987 Kawasaki ZL-600 eliminator. I bought it last summer and it road great for about 2 months. Quick, responsive and easy to cruise! I then ran into some problems where it was dying on me whenever I would pull the clutch in and let off the throttle, or downshift coming up to a light. I took it to the mechanic here in boise and they said no problem we will take care of it, we probably need to sync your carbs and replace some seals! I said spare no expense and get it running like before! BTW my bike only has 18,000 original miles and a clean title! I am the 3rd owner. Anyways, I get it out of the shop and on my way home does the same thing dies on a downshift coming up to a light! I take it back 2 more times and they charge me around $1400 and had my bike in the shop for close to 4 months, "waiting for parts." They finally said they had someone ride it and it was fine and all fixed. An hour later on what I thought was my victory ride, it does the same thing. Now when it dies, it won't just start right back up! I usually have to wait 20 minutes slam open the throttle drop it into gear and race toward my house. Sometimes to get it running I have to open the choke all the way to get it to start and then drop it in gear and race home. I don't know what the problem is and I am so furious at the mechanic who did the work I will not let them touch my bike again! Have any of you had this problem? I am at my wits end with this bike but love it so much where I don't want to get rid of it! Please help anywhere I should start first? Another mechanic where I recently just bought another bike at said it sounds like its not getting air. But I have read that these bikes CDI unit is notorious for causing issues! Any ideas you guys....? Here is my bike....
    20180320_163725.jpg 20180319_164941.jpg

R. J. likes this.
  2. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

First off if you were riding the bike and had a cdi issue the bike would simply shut off without notice, no losing power or bogging down. To me it sounds like a vacuum issue in that the bike is starving for fuel. Try this test, take a ride with the fuel cap open and see if the problem is still there. Preferably if you have a second key I would insert it into the cap and then unlock and open the cap when the issue arises. Doing it this way would prevent gas from leaving the tank if it is full of fuel. If the stumble or bogging down issue is cured the fix is simple. Let us know what this test does.

MaydayMark likes this.
  3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

That's a very nice looking ZL600 you have there!

MaydayMark likes this.
  4. MaydayMark

MaydayMark New Member

Thanks guys, I took it to a friends house who rebuilds bikes and he seemed to fiddle with the dial and we got it running by charging up the battery and he seemed to get it to idle properly after doing a few things! I bought a new battery and hope that fixes the problem when I disconnected the charger from the bike while it was running it died out. Bought a new battery and will let you guys know if I have any problems after that! I appreciate the answer and will keep you guys informed! If I get it running right it will be my second bike since two weeks ago I bought a 2018 Yamaha MT-07, btw great bike a lot of torque!

5. MaydayMark

MaydayMark New Member

Thanks I will try it out! I got it to a friends shop and we tinkered with it, the battery was toast but with a charger we got it running and idling fine hope this is the only issue but I will let you know once I get the new battery in there! Thanks so much for your reply and I will keep you update!

6. MaydayMark

MaydayMark New Member

Thanks! Its all original and I think I got it running right hopefully it turns out just to be a bad battery!

7. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

If you can source a maintenance free battery locally that is what I would put in place rather than a lead acid one. Worst case you could order one online. For the longest time you could not buy a maintenance free battery for the 600 but in the last year or two they have become available.

8. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

$1400....I'd be tempted to throw the old battery through the shops front window.

Stick with your buddy, it's too nice of a bike to let that original shop take any guesses as to what's wrong with it.

Glad you're up and running. Nice looking scoot!

9. Ed

Ed Active Member

Are you refering to Li-ion? I haven't found a standard MF battery thin enough to fit.

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Really nice ZL 6 you have. :notworthy:. Furchin/Martin is referring to a sealed gell battery. If you don't mine me asking what in the sam hell cost $1400. We have a member WickedZL900 out of NC that rebuilds carbs better than new. He was running a special for members a month ago or so.

11. furchin

12. Ed

Ed Active Member

Ok, I see there are a few. I was hoping for a Yuasa. Off brands seem to be hit or miss with bike batteries. How long have you had that Scorpion so far? Was it pre-filled?

13. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

I believe everybody on the forum that has used the DEKA AGM batteries have been happy with them, I know I have.

14. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I use Deka in all of my bikes and have for years. I keep them on a tender too.

15. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: AGM batteries come filled. They are gell based & are sealed meaning you can't add acid. I bought a new DEKA 2 weeks ago for my ZL 10. $92. The first DEKA lasted 6 years.

16. furchin

@Ed, 10 months, 8 days. I as others have a battery maintainer hooked up 24/7

17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I have 4 bikes on Battery Tenders at all times even though I ride them Weekly.

18. Ed

Ed Active Member

Yuasa MF YT and YTX come with a separate acid pack which is added at time of sale or by the customer. The YTZ is factory filled and more expensive. I think those other brands are like the YT and many even use the same YT designation. A long shelf life and freshness is the main advantage of filling it yourself.

I get a huge discount on Yuasa so it's hard to justify buying anything else. I know Deka was a good battery many years ago (probably still is) but I've seen good brands go to crap when they switch manufacturers. Same is true with just about everything being farmed out to save a buck these days.

19. furchin

The best thing about Deka is they are USA made. Unless something has changed they are still manufactured in Pennsylvania.

20. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My new DEKA batteries box says made in USA with US & Imported materials. So I wonder which materials are Imported & why. IMG_7197.JPG IMG_7198.JPG IMG_7199.JPG