1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

86 zl 600 bobber

Richie Dec 12, 2018

1. Richie

Richie New Member

Hey guys, I bought this bike 2 months ago from a guy here local, paid $200 for it, it will fire if you jump the solenoid, the PO decided to "fix" the wiring. So unless I can find a really good diagram, I'm probably going to start from scratch, I've done some paint work on it, and went through the carbs, cleaning, checking everything out, and synched them up, question I have is, can I just cap the vacuum inlets on the engine side of the carbs? If not, what goes where, I've got a aftermarket petcock,

2. Richie

Richie New Member

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Welcome to zl-oa. Nice pics. :notworthy:.

4. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

5. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Check our down load section for the wiring diagram in the base manual. I think it's in there. As far as capping the vacuum ports, as long as the after market petcock is manual and not vacuum operated then yes you can cap them.

6. Richie

Richie New Member

Dumb question but how do I know if it's a vacuum petcock or not? The one I bought only has the one line coming from it, so I take it it is manual? And am I good to pull all the smog/emission stuff out, it's located between the engine and the frame rail

7. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Only one line would indicate it is manual, so you are correct. And yes you can remove the emission crap. Just make sure you either install block off plates on the reed valves or cap the outlet pipe with a plug. I used rubber furniture leg caps. They were either 5/8 or 3/4 inch, don't remember but somewhere on this site I do have the information if you look for it.

Just checked my extra parts and the caps are 5/8, 16mm

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  8. ColinG

ColinG Active Member

9. Richie

Richie New Member

Thanks furchin, and ColinG, I think your thread was the first one I read on here lol, I disabled all the smog emission crap and she is running pretty decent , still have to fine tune everything, does anyone know a good way to attach leather to a steel seat pan? Only way I can think of is pop rivets and fender washers lol

10. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  12. Richie

Richie New Member

Thanks guys, I'm going to use 3m 97 I got from work, we use it to stick gaskets to metal, I'll use it to attach the foam to the pan, then use it and pop rivets to attach the leather, I've got a whole dear hide I'm thinking of using, going to leave it natural I think

13. Richie

Richie New Member

Well, I'm stumped, the wiring is still being a pain in the ass, and now, she won't stay running, and will barely fire off with starting fluid, any links for similar problems? It's got me yanking my hair out

14. Richie

Richie New Member

Good news, is the tank it back from getting clearcoated, had emailed put some metal flake in the clear also