1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

600 airbox/pods

Joe Apr 29, 2019

1. Joe

Joe Member

No joke once I get that 600 running good I will be putting as many miles on it as I can. Definitely a good fun bike.

2. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Yes that is what I have found out with my ZL600. It my not be a show bike nor the fastest, but it sure runs and breathes good. and certainly is reliable.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

4. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Thanks for the info.

5. Joe

Joe Member

I had one that was torn when I pulled the carbs so I already grabbed four new ones. If ones bad they all probably aren't far from being bad.

6. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

I was able to buy 4 new boots myself from Partszilla.com.

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: When using new boots when installing the carbs makes the job much easier.

8. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Absolutely. I also took the Philip head screws out of the brackets and used hex-head bolts to get the tightest fit. What a difference.

R. J. likes this.
  9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: When doing carbs I always swap out the 8 boot clamps philip head screws for SS allen cap screws. They don't rust & the allen wrench stays put when tightening up the clamps.

10. Joe

Joe Member

Yeah I'll be doing that. I constantly strip out Phillips head screws anyway so any I can change to allenheads I will be.

11. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Yes that is also a good way to go as well. If you want to install an oil cooler on your ZL600 just locate one from a 1986 600 Ninja and get the cooler and oil pan. The rest is fairly simple.

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Also don't you have to use a Ninja 600 oil pan. Will it clear a stock exhaust system.

13. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Yes it will be the exact pan, only the Ninja has the inlet/outlet ports for the oil cooler lines as the ZL600 pan does not. When you look at how I did this setup it clears the exhaust and frame. All is fairly simple plus it is a good addition to the bike.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  14. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

We are now in triple digits with a heat wave warning.

15. Joe

Joe Member

Oh I wouldn't doubt it I go through Vegas sometimes and when I went through needles ca and Kingman az the other day it was hot as hell

16. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Yes it will get to 106 and above today and pretty much the rest of the week.

17. Joe

Joe Member

Got the carbs back from Rick he definitely did a hell of a job however I am going to need to rejet it I think. Runs too lean stumbles over itself pretty hard in higher rpms. After my dumbass fixed my error. I until now haven't had a k&n filter that didn't come pre oiled...ran pretty bad with no oil on those filters. But still runs lean big time

Attached Files:

18. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Like I said I had to install a dyna jet kit for my carbs. If you have the stock pilot jets and it idles fine then you will have to up the main jet size. And of course you need to sync the carbs after each jet adjustment. As for oiling the K/N filters, I do not do that, as the oil tends to get sucked into the slides and then they tend to stick which will cause erratic performance. Mine always stay dry. I just clean them with simple green solution and let them dry over night.

19. Joe

Joe Member

Yeah I oiled em already and the bike idles good and runs basically perfect until 5-6 grand then it skips and pops and bogs down. I will change the Jets and change needles. I picked up the dynojet kit for this bike and ill either get it running right this time or I'm about done. I like working on stuff but damn Id rather ride it more then I'm working on it and right now that's not the case.

20. COTTONTOP

COTTONTOP Active Member

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure that the coil wires are correct and not one of them crossed? It sounds like mine when I first got it. The guy I bought it from was fed up with it as well. It ran ok up until 5-6000rpms and after that it would just sputter and would not climb any farther. Even though the schematics showed that the coil wires were hooked up correctly I finally decided to just experiment. Sure enough the schematic was wrong. Once I figured out which wire was wrong it immediately climb to 11,000rpms at full throttle. So I really was just running on 2 cylinders with the one wire crossed. Hope this helps.