1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

1988 250 Eliminator

R. J. Oct 22, 2016

1. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Well I am sure it will all work out in the end for you. :hello:

2. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

What's wrong with your truck?

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I got home this past Wednesday night at 9:30. During my trip to VA, PA & OH my truck was in the shop 4 times. The first time was in Richman Hill GA for a 5000 lb inline tranny cooler. $360. (I was going to do this anyway) The tranny over temp light came on. The second time was in Hubbard OH for a broken $5 spring in the Tranny fluid pump. Which most likely caused the first problem. With 159 K miles on my truck I had the Tranny shop go ahead & rebuild it. $2560. The third time in Cherry Tree PA it was for a shorted fuel pump hanger. With towing it cost me $290. The 4th time in Cherry Tree PA it was for a short in the wiring harness that caused the fuel injector fuse to blow. The shop worked on it all day free of charge. He was not 100% sure that he fixed the whole problem. :pain10:.

4. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

R.J. are those vn750 mirrors identical to the ZL9/10 or is the stem shorter?

5. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Sorry, I just saw it.

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Guys I need you all to look out for an ignition switch for a 1991 t0 1993 250 Eliminator. When I converted to the 91 cooling system/tachometer & wiring I found out that the 1988 ignition switch wiring is different. I've been looking on E Bay for several months. If our members in Europe can locate one for me let me know. Thank's.

8. 4mermxer

4mermxer New Member

Is it just the connector / terminals that are different or is the circuit that's different? I haven't looked at schematics for each yet but if it is a connection issue, I have spent a lifetime designing automotive and equipment electrical systems so I may be able to help adapting your original switch to your new harness??? I can't imagine that the circuits which are being controlled are really that different... but I have been wrong before, perhaps as recently as just now... let me know if I can help. If you would like to post end-on and side-on pics of each it it may help too...

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The wiring harness for the 1991 has an extra RED power wire & 2 wires that are different color at the plug connection going to the ignition switch. According to the Kaw service manual 1988 to 1994 EL 250 they made 5 different wiring harness looms/ wiring schematics for the 250. From memory they made 3 different switches. 1988-1990, 1991-1993 & 1994. Also different Countries got different wiring. I'm going to compare each one for differances & make notes. I did do a quick look back in July before going to VMD but ran out of time. I spent 5 weeks up North because of my truck going in a shop 5 times. Then about 6 weeks laid up for back problems. Most likely it will be another 4 weeks before I can dig back into the 250. I stopped working on it because of my trip. It was bowing the 30 AMP main fuse even with the ignition switch disconnected. So I also have something else going on. It may be the starter solenoid relay/ magnetic switch being shorted. Just guessing at this point.

10. 4mermxer

4mermxer New Member

Let me know as you gather information. I will help if I can. Good luck with the adventure.

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Thank's Will do. It's always good to have a 2d. party help trouble-shoot something. The connectors are the same. The 1988 one has 8 pins & the 1991 has 9 pins. The extra one is red & 2 wires are of different colors.

12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I bought another used OEM wiring harness loom from another 1991 EL 250 ($40) for trouble-shooting purposes & a new OEM starter solenoid relay ($65). I'll get bact to trying to figure out why it blows the main 30 AMP fuse in January. It's most likely something that I did wrong or the ignition switch. I'm still looking for one from a 1991 to a 1993 EL 250.

markus56 likes this.