1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

1972 HONDA CT 70 K1 Trail 70

R. J. Jan 10, 2019

1. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I got my motor back from Ron A. today. He split the cases to install the TBW stroker crank along with a TBW heavy duty clutch, big bore cyn and race head. He also installed the TBW high lift race cam. Also the TBW red anodized engine cover dress up kit. All the cases was powder coated BMW silver. I put on the oil cooler and carb. Labor from Ron to build the motor was $150. The motor also has all SS allen cap bolts. Total price for parts and labor to go from 72 cc to build it up to 108 cc was around $860. All the parts came from TBOLTUSA out of PA. IMG_7202.JPG IMG_7203.JPG IMG_7205.JPG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Fern likes this.
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Looks great R.J.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Thanks. :notworthy:.

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

That's what I like most about you R.J., you don't do things half assed.....great work as always.

R. J. and kvalheim like this.
  5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

That bike would need a turbo in addition to the stroker kit to haul my anarchist butt around!
    60f679e0d19782e2de2abd0b1edc1c93--funny-pics-funny-shit.jpg

LOL! Seriously though, looking like it's coming together really well.

R. J. likes this.
  6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Hopefully I'll install the motor this weekend. I'm not happy unless I go all the way on a build. The Lafan CHINA motor that is in the CT 70 is junk. The clutch slips after 3/4 throttle. It was in the bike when I bought it. The stock motor that I had Ron A. do is from a 1971 CT 70 & not a 1972. The P O said that he went through the whole motor. It was a mess inside. The trannys shims was all missing. It had a new piston & rings. Again CHINA junk. The cam chain was stretched really bad & both of the round rubber cam chain guides was pertty much goan. They was all cracked with big chunks taken out. He painted the end of the cam. Why?? It had the wrong flywheel on it. None of this mattered. The motor being 49 years old needed done anyway. Partzilla had every part in stock.

7. 87kawzl

You going to be able to keep up with the 3/4 bikes, kaw 125 and Honda Grom? If they aren't built that is? That's who rides in these clubs if I'm not mistaken.

8. jd2ndzl

jd2ndzl New Member

Oil cooler is nice my 110 nice motor had to let cool down after long rides when breaking in watched my oil temp. Just be careful front end likes to lift with extra power and setting back on seat being an adult. China motor Bad when I built mine seen many stories that some never make 100 miles. My HD buddies said I could ride with them but everywhere we stopped people gather around the 70.

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: We have a Honda Mini Club here in Central FL. They ride almost every Sunday & do Events once a Month. My Wife will ride the CT 70 & the XL 70 is for me. My stock XL 70 with 2 tooth bigger sprocket up front will out run the new 125s. A kid down the street has a 2018 Honda Grom & we rode together before I tore down the XL.

10. jd2ndzl

jd2ndzl New Member

I had a black 79 when I was a kid loved it would ride all day. I ended up getting my current 70 because we go to Road America for Indy car race the track is so big we run around and watch from different spots. If you remember old adds ct70 shows people drain carb fold down handle bars close vent and put bike in trunk. We would shut gas off and I would flip up back seat on my truck roll it in and not worry when at hotels

R. J. likes this.
  11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: 1979 was the only year Honda made a black CT 70. Last Month a low mile black CT 70 was on E-bay for 3 K. When my Dad would take us to a riding spot we would put my Sisters CT 70 & my Nephews Z 50 in the trunk of his 1964 Pontiac Tempest. My XL 70 was tied to the rear bumper. He had my Brother Paul make a bike carrier. The trunk would not close because we stood the Honda 50 up right.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I been doing some motor stuff on the stock CT & XL 70 motors. I gutted the CT 70 head. Polished the cam, rocker arms & rocker arm pins. I bought new valves (2 sets $18 a set shipped made in JAPAN by Shindy) for both stock motors. Also had the XL 70 silver cyn bored to 48.5 mm. I'll be using a PRO-X piston. Price $40. On the CT 70 black cyn it is bored to 47.5 mm for the WISECO piston. Price $74. Stock bore on both is 47 mm. The stock CT 70 had a new OEM stock bore piston which is in center of pic # 2. Price to bore both cyns was $50. I had my Powdercoat guy do both cyns & one head. Price $90. ______________________________________________________________________ IMG_7312.JPG IMG_7314.JPG IMG_7315.JPG IMG_7316.JPG IMG_7317.JPG

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  13. 87kawzl

Did you ever find the lowering links for it?
    :D:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Pair of CT 110's in pgh CL for $3100 not near the style of the 70's but probably a lot more stable at speed. I dig the newer van-vans and the tw200's. I'd probably loose my cool riding a mini bike round here in the land of SUV's driven by jagoffs.

R. J. likes this.
  14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

87kawzl likes this.