1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

1039cc engine swap

madmanncr500 Aug 17, 2012

1. Scoobys_piece

Scoobys_piece Well-Known Member

If this makes any sense, high performance engines demand high performance electronics. High output coils, high output voltage...wonder if your CDI is acting up? Wonder if engine get's hot, something electronic is also getting hot...not the coils, but maybe CDI? Have you changed that out? Don't know...just throwing out idears. Wonder if the alternator is not putting out enough energy when it's hot....Just thoughts.

2. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

scob ive done it all to my limits!!! cdi's work or dont work no in between!! Dyana coils on there way from ZL store!!! dont have another cdi to change it out with but like i said cdi's work or dont no in between!

3. madmanncr500

well Dale and Mark both said there is nothing wrong with the engine! gotta be electrical!! Dale said he just re ring the engine and ran the valves before i got it! Runs good when runing other than a sputer at 3400rpm stabed! roll into it its good...jetting there!

4. madmanncr500

:headbang: Want to thank ALL for the VEIWS and replies!!!!:headbang: when we get this all figuerd out gonna post ONE NASTY BURN OUT AND HOLE SHOT of her!!!! hopefully in front of BUDS house!!!:headbang::headbang:

5. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

:nono::nono::nono: You're gonna blow that thing up running the crap out of it without tuning the carbs!

6. madmanncr500

like i said AFTER the zl tune shop!!!:notworthy: carbs are in the ball park she running fat now!!

7. Scoobys_piece

That's what I heard..you likem FAT...:rotf: I like mine fat in the rear...bout 200mm will do...DOUGH~

8. madmanncr500

:rotf::thefinger:

9. madmanncr500

Like i said when i do find it it would be a duh...............DUH:fool: Last night i worked on this thing for 7hrs...got the dana coils installed with new copper core wires i made...Took carbs back off changed jets had 136 in there went with 132.....started cleaning and dioed grease every damn conector on it...got to the ignation switch(THANKS ZLMARK)..took it apart cleand and greased...BOOM BABY!!!!!!:headbang: havent got to ride it yet been raining 3 days...gonna be nice later today..... seems the ignation switch needs replaced..starts some times turn off with kill switch turn it back to run and just turns over...turn key off &on 5 or 6 time boom fires back up..... ill let all know how it runs tonight!!:headbang::goodluck:

10. madmanncr500

Yeah it might be cold way up there but not that bad here yet....(PLUG IT IN:rotf:) U FUNNY:thefinger:

11. madmanncr500

HOLY SH*T BOYS!!!! this thing is NASTY FAST!!!! done it!!:headbang: she is nasty fast!!! took her out for a ride to night and my GOD.... the miss is gone! was pulling front wheel off the ground in 4th!! NO more miss at 3000rpm the rejetting done the trick!!:headbang: cant wait to get this bi*ch on the track!!:headbang::headbang: shinko the real deal!!:headbang: no slip at ALL!! PULLS hard all the way thru the gears!!:headbang::evil:

12. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Are you still thinking ignition switch or what?

13. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I'll have a practically new ignition switch with me this weekend at the meet in case that is your problem. I've had really good luck cleaning them real good and re-greasing.

14. Scoobys_piece

C? Told you....I'm smarter than most people want to give me credit for....Doesn't bother me, but I DID tell you that it was going to be something simple.

15. madmanncr500

I knew it was something simple it always is. I'm no :pottytrain2:myself! :headbang:

16. madmanncr500

ha wasnt the ignition switch at all!! got up to buds house for the zl event and ZLMARK,MARKUS,and I starded going thro this thing ! from one end to the next...tried the new ignition switch Markus brought for me and i thought that had fixed it. started 7 time in a row...then just cranked....back to testing Mark worked his VOODOO all over this thing...then i pull the timing cover off to check the pic up coil gap....and HEY look at that..the pick up toward the front of the engine was bent out not making good pic up:rotf: Mark bent back in with screw driver..i put her back together....STARTS EVER TIME:hello2::headbang: Now i gotta work on the carbs agin,floats out ajustment, not bad, but enuff to mess with the sinking of the carbs.....i put nasty bi*ch back together and went out did big smoke job for the crew:headbang: couple wheelies:headbang:...was really hopeing those v-wennies went buy agin with there tuff guy bikes:rotf: the guys said they had been rolling buy reving there tuff guy bikes up all day sat...nasty bi*ch was ready for them sunday...but none went buy:thebirdman: went down to the gas station was pumping the fuel when two v-winnies roll up and to my surprise they came over and was checking out the nasty b*tch...:headbang: one guy says" looks like that thing would drink gas&hauls ass"! i SAY you have NO idea!! now me being the madmann that i am:headbang: there is a BIG sweeping corner right in front of the gas station:headbang:....i drifted it with the smoke ah rolling off the back

tire in 2nd gear:headbang: TO HELL WITH THEM V-WINNIES!!!:thefinger: I RIDE A KAWASAKI BABY!!!! OL SCHOOL!!!!:headbang:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  17. madmanncr500

DONE!! every thing done now:headbang::headbang: put pingel in tonight,carbs all done,me & madwoman went on HELL ride tonight..and WOW....nuff said...ill let the time slips show what im talking about! the first 50yards you best be in shape to hold the fck on!!!:headbang:

18. dirtdiverkf

dirtdiverkf Active Member Supporting Member

what is hell ride? like a halloween thing? i thought about hosting a fright ride next year and end the ride at a haunted house thing or something, let me know how it went, what time of day it was, etc, would love some ideas, thanks

19. Scoobys_piece

:rotf: He's got practically a pro stock bike. He was pulling a meatloaf!

20. mudrunner88

mudrunner88 Webmaster Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Yup, tried telling ya when you ordered them :laughing7: My nuts still hurt from the first hookup and then coming down and smashing the gas tank...and that was a year ago! I love them tires!

Glad ya got it all figured out bro!