1. Guest, In order to get the most out of the new software, we have created How to Videos.
    They are located in a sub forum under the "Website Related" forum. Visit them and if they help be sure to "LIKE" the post.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL600 Cafe Racer Project

Ed Mar 17, 2016

1. Ed

Ed Member

A friend gave me some stock GSXR rearsets so I picked up some used ZL parts (Ebay) to modify. I made mounts on the lathe and had them welded on.

The ZL shifter splines are welded to the GS linkage arm.
    [​IMG]

The brake shaft is in a good position so I just bent the arm out and ground it flat on top. I might weld the stock pad on later but it's fine for now, just a little chunky looking. I'm using a weaker return spring to make up for the leverage difference.
    [​IMG]

More to come...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Cool, keep us posted and informed on how you go about it. Later.

3. Ed

Ed Member

My clubmans just arrived. Other parts should be here soon.:)

4. grooveongreg

grooveongreg Member

what are you going to do with the seat?

Saw some good examples on Instagram. one where a guy just bolted a flat seat with hump over the drop in the middle looked better than you would think. Another where he had like a bobber type seat. both looked okay. After I fix my (some dohnut drove it into a lamppost) tank that's next on my list

5. Ed

Ed Member

The clubmans won't fit in a good position without hitting the tank so I ordered some clip-ons.

The seat will be easy. I bought a small taillight/tag mount with integrated signals and I'll form a glass or carbon cowl over it. I'll use hard foam for the passenger seat which will also attach the cowl to the pan.

Here's a pic from the internet that I photochopped:
    [​IMG]

6. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

I like it!!:headbang:

7. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

That's not bad looking at all. Hope it all goes well. Later.

8. Drdeth

Drdeth New Member

How is the seat to peg measurement, can you sit and put yer feet on there without cramping up?

9. Ed

Ed Member

It's very cramped but I have a seat to modify.

10. Ed

Ed Member

Guess which 4 into 1 this is...
    [​IMG]

11. Ed

Ed Member

Reposted missing images...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kawboy, R. J. and Harriminator like this.
  12. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Nice. :notworthy:.

13. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Great looking scoot!

14. Ed

Ed Member

I put the 4 into 1 on until I get the headers rechromed. There's a problem with the carbon contaminating the bath so it might be a while until I can seal them up.

The bike is in near perfect shape so it's hard to continue with this project without spare parts to modify. I'm considering getting rid of this bike and buying a 2018 CRF450RX for the ultimate cafe racer project.

It's gonna be hard parting with the ZL because of it's age and conditon.