1. Guest, In order to get the most out of the new software, we have created How to Videos.
    They are located in a sub forum under the "Website Related" forum. Visit them and if they help be sure to "LIKE" the post.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL 900/1000 Carb Removal/Install

R. J. May 1, 2017

1. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

It is easy!

Thanks for typing it out as I never seem to be able to explain it as well as you do.

One thing to note is that when you straddle the bike you actually twist the carbs up and down a little as you pull on them. They will come out with ease and also pull right out of the air box boots if you twist downward just as they release from the intake boot (No need to use a strap to hold back the air box boots this way)

2. WillyD

WillyD Well-Known Member

Once I watched you pull my carbs out at VMD 2008 as you explained it that all made perfect sense and I do it that way all the time. You made it look easy as prior to that i struggled and cussed a lot too lol

3. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: It does make it much easier if you have the air box back that extra inch when it comes time to install the new OEM air box to carb boots. When releasing the strap the boots ease onto the carbs with a little lift of the carbs. I didn't even need to use any tools for this.

4. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  5. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: This is slick. :notworthy: Done by MikeZL400 from the UK. IMAG3413.jpg IMAG3414.jpg IMAG3415.jpg The boots never come in contact with the carbs. Almost like a magic trick. :laughing7: Now all's I need to do is go swipe a few road signs. :laughing7:

kvalheim likes this.
  6. kvalheim

kvalheim Active Member

Looks like a good carb hack to me. Until some one shows or tells you the tricks off installing them they can be tricky. Thanks R.J.

7. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

Did you ever receive your o-rings RJ?

8. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: Yes the last of them came yesterday. I will measure them all sometime in the next week.

9. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

Awesome. Thanks

10. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

IMG_4404.JPG IMG_4406.JPG IMG_4402.JPG IMG_4401.JPG :hello: Here are the measurements in MM for all 5 O-rings that are used in our carbs along with how many of each that are needed. I also included the carbs fish along with description of each O-ring. The parts are highlighted in yellow. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 3:18 PM
  11. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

12. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: # 5 on the list which is for the air cut off valve O-rings are an odd ball size. They are taller than they are wide/thick. You may have a hard time finding it. They are sort of square shaped. VMAX Rider were you at. :D

13. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

Here I am R.J. lol, Thanks for your time in putting this together. It is a great help and will save some bucks from the 4 dollar plus asking price on some of these o-rings. I believe the o-ring store also has some o-rings like you listed, With the height being different than the cross section.

14. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

Just thought I would throw this out there.....The float bowl gaskets are $8.80 each at procaliber.com. You have to use the ones for the Concours as they don't list the ZL1000 but it is the same p/n

15. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: It took me about an hour to make the O-ring list so that will be $77.58. :D. Thank's: that's a savings of $4.00 each on the float bowl O-rings. What is the Country of origin. The OEM O-rings average around $3.00 each not including the float bowl square O-rings. It might be a good idea to buy one of each of the OEM ones to have on hand for when you buy after market ones so that you can match them up. Make sure you let us all know your findings.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 10:45 AM
  16. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

I noticed that the height/cross section are not the same on some of them. That makes it a bit tricky but I am sure a standard o-ring would work for it. Like if you take the id and the od and subtract the 2 and divide by 2 the height on some don't add up. I was thinking there is a classification of an o-ring with that shape too. I will have to do some searching on the oring store and see what I find. Also, on ordering parts I have found procaliber to be the cheapest so far. If you spend 99 dollars they offer free shipping too. Only bad thing is they for some reason don't list the ZL. I was thinking of buying one of each and doing as you said. That is normally what I try to do for others and keep it around for reference.

17. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

I found a Download for a Parker o-ring handbook. It is a PDF file with a size of 9mb. It has all kinds of information in it pertaining to o-rings. The file is too large to upload though. Is there someone I can send it too to get it uploaded?