1. Guest, In order to get the most out of the new software, we have created How to Videos.
    They are located in a sub forum under the "Website Related" forum. Visit them and if they help be sure to "LIKE" the post.
    Dismiss Notice

Water pump advice

pipnow58 Nov 29, 2017

1. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello:I keep the spare pump.

2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: So did you decide on what you are doing. It's to late to cancel your parts that I orderd.

3. pipnow58

pipnow58 Active Member

My son want's to check out the ebay pump when it arrives. It might be bad also. I have been dissecting the old pump . I pushed out the shaft, there was no snap ring. Does the bearing and seals push out toward the turbine ? I tried to push both directions, seems very tight. I don't want to destroy anything.

4. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Yes they are hard to press out. It's best to use a press. They push out from both ends from the inside. The inside bearing is always bad.

5. pipnow58

pipnow58 Active Member

I have a feeling the pump was rebuilt before as there was no snap ring. They either lost it or forgot. the impeller is good and tight, no play

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Are you talking about the one off the bike or from E-bay. Does it have a grove for the snap C-ring. Some pumps have them & others don't. Even from the same year/model. Clean up all the rust on the shaft. Also when installing the new oil seal put a thin bead of black RTV around the inside rim of the water pump before installing the oil seal. I've seen new oil seals pop out. One other thing after installing a water pump coolant may drip from it. Don't be alarmed. Start & run the bike. Bring it up to temp. Then let the bike get stone cold. Then check for leaks. I was told from my friend Ron A. who is a retired KAW Tech that if some coolant is left in the system after being drained it will find it's way down hill & get into the water pumps back side of the mechanical ceramic seal presenting a faulse leak.

7. pipnow58

pipnow58 Active Member

The pump removed from the bike had a groove but snap ring was missing

8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I need to reword the part on the mechanical ceramic seal of post #26. It is possible for coolant to weep out before the bike is started because the ceramic seal needs to be seated & this happens after the bike is warmed up. This refers to a pump that has been opened up.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: pipnow58: The parts for your son's 87 Ninji 750R came today. Let me know if you need my Services. If not it's no big deal. Most of these parts will fit other water pumps.

10. pipnow58

pipnow58 Active Member

Thanks for all the info and help. I have been rebuilding 70s era bikes all my life but I don't know as much about water cooled kaws. I can bring a 75 Z-1 900 back to life and make it as good as new, love those old 900s. I should know about the pumps by early next week or sooner

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I inventoried my parts last night. I compared the ZL 9 & 10 water pump parts to the 87 750R Ninji's. Some of the parts have different part #s but all the parts are all the same.