1. Guest, In order to get the most out of the new software, we have created How to Videos.
    They are located in a sub forum under the "Website Related" forum. Visit them and if they help be sure to "LIKE" the post.
    Dismiss Notice

Valve clearance adjustment

ARCHIVE_jacemdom Jun 19, 2006

1. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Nice . . . you agree with yourself :laughing7:

2. daytonasurfrat

daytonasurfrat Member

How did THAT happen? That was my first post here.. damn .. screwed something up.. oh well not the first time!

3. 1 red zl9

1 red zl9 Well-Known Member

it's ok brother, your not the only one around here.:laughing7:

4. Russ

Russ Member

I just done my valves today [which were all well tight] I took the pulser cover off and cranked doing each set of valves as each piston reached TDC. I must have checked em about 4 times [all set at 0.007 and 0.009"] and will probably check them again tomorrow haha! I'm gonna look at getting my valve cover blasted and re sprayed while I'm at it. My plugs [which were relatively new] were very corroded and the bores look like they are full of rust and other crap .....any idea how to clean them out without getting any rubbish in the engine??

5. genefrost_zl900

genefrost_zl900 Active Member

Can you still get me some of these plates?

Thanks,
    Gene

6. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: You might be able to find them on E Bay. They will be listed under ZG 1000 & or GPZ 900 or GPZ 1000.

7. golddrakul

golddrakul Well-Known Member

Gene, unfortunately my machinist has moved on, don't have a place that will do them reasonably right now. Still looking, I'm in Chicago so there has to be someone who will do them without wanting body parts, the trick is finding them.

The Concours should have the same plates, here's a link to Murphskits - it's a reputable site:

http://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=518

Good luck!

8. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

The murphs kit includes all the needed caps and plugs. That's a good deal.

9. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

I've always done valves with the lobe pointing away.. On every car and bike ive ever owned (20+) and each one of them has run perfectly.

My zl starts very easily.. Cold mornings full choke is required for about 30 seconds to a minute..

Setting the valve rocker pairs TOGETHER is way more important than how u rotate the motor. The manual is written for people who don't know what a cam lobe is as a fail safe procedure.

Once u realise how easy it is u probably wd never use a manual ever again.