1. Guest, In order to get the most out of the new software, we have created How to Videos.
    They are located in a sub forum under the "Website Related" forum. Visit them and if they help be sure to "LIKE" the post.
    Dismiss Notice

Squealing noise all rpms and neutral

fstarocka Aug 3, 2017

1. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Hi all, reunited with my beautiful ZL after 2 years!

Fitted manual tensioner and what a difference! Anyway, I'm concerned about a squealing sound coming from the motor, sounds like cam area.. All rpms, idle too.. I'll see if adjusting the tensioner makes any difference.. Could have been there all along who knows, rattling chain made such a noise. Runs great otherwise..

Going to check oil today. Any ideas? It's not super loud but def audible.. I'll try post a video later..

:unsure:

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

Back off the tensioner!

3. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: When installing a manual cam chain tentioner turn it in by hand until it starts to get snug then go one full turn. Tighten the stay nut. If it is winding it's to tight. If it rattles it's to loose.

4. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:laughing7: I meant to say after turning it in by hand start the bike. Warm it up turn in the bolt slowly until the chain quits making noise. If the chain wines it's to tight.

5. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Hi guys, yes not sure if the noise is related to tensioner, I think since noise disappeared the squealing became audible imo.

Yes I waited till it was hot, backed of till it clacked again and turned in slow till it went away.

This thing idles at the touch of the starter, even first time of the day.

The sound seems def top end, and very hard to tell left or right but possibly more right side I believe.

Also, have aftermarket temp gauge installed, needle bounces around sometimes.. I suspect the upper fan switch has a bad connection and needs replacing Usually runs around 190-200 tops, that right?

Sometimes I also get water coming out of rad cap, esp before it's hot. Very annoying. It's brand new too.. .

Leaving Seattle for SoCal with wife on back today :) 1500 miles of mountain awaiting!

Got these installed yesterday :)

Attached Files:

6. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Me and the wife ready! Fyi these bell transition lenses are unreal. Don't think I'll ever use anything else again. They tint black but not so much that u struggle to see. Just incredible how they do it!

FYI these are both Bell qualifier helmets.

Attached Files:

7. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: Not sure if I'd take a long trip on a bike with a noise & coolant coming out. The generator can make a noise that you decribed which is hard to detect of its location. The generator chain may be slapping & hitting your clutch boss cover. Also you may have air in the coolant system causing the overflow out your cap. The coolant system has 2 bleeders. One is on the water pump cover & the other is on the backside of the thermostat housing. Hope you have a trouble free trip.

8. 87kawzl

Have a blast! Those transition shields look nice. I've got prescription sunglasses and a tinted shade on my shoei. They don't play well together. So it's either my everyday bifocals (which are no fun to ride with) and tinted shade or clear shade with sunglasses.

The bags don't look bad, enjoy your touring around. There were more than a handful of timed I would have liked some bags to hold heavier clothes to wear during the night rides home.

9. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Hi all. Well so far so good. About 800 into the trip and man the ZL is just powering through the turns non stop. In North California now, been twisting thru mountains and valleys for 3 days, incredible scenery!!! Probably best bike trip I've ever done.

Will inspect noise when home, I'd like to say it sounds like a cam bearing but who knows.. Has a pitch like a ball bearing on its way out.. Matches revs too.

Something about these eliminators, the sports motor and the muscle bike combined..what a fantastic motor imo. And the handling too, almost better than my 86 vfr with the soggy front end.

Kawasaki def nailed this bike!! Perfect except for the tank size and hard seat :) obviously a city muscle cruiser..

10. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

There is a sort of whining/whistling sound that is a characteristic of this engine. Kind of like a supercharger. Not sure if that's what you're hearing.

11. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Hi kawboy that's exactly what it sounds like.. Last few days I was thinking just that..

Well made it all the way back to SoCal, 1500 miles! Will get a second set of feeler gauges and do valve clearance..

Has anyone installer an advance plate on these?

Thinking of doing it myself.. And if I visit get lucky a set of fcr's wd be bollocks..

Can't seem to find psi for metzler 880 rear.. 42psi? Front is a 330 also no idea, 34?

12. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: Glad your trip was trouble free. I installed a 4* advancer plate on my ZL 10 a few years back. It's not all that hard to do. When you do it the black hex nut is not a nut. It's a spacer. The 5 mm allen cap screw on the end of the crank holds it together. Also under the dummy nut is a 12 mm long roll pin which keeps the dummy nut from rotating.

13. 87kawzl

Rear pressure seems high. I usually run between 30 & 35 front and rear. The front will get squirrley when it gets low. Play around with it and see what works for you. If you have stock airbox and pipes you probably won't notice a big difference with a timing plate. Plus it may like more octane when you start modding it. Keep valve adjustment in check and sync carbs make all the difference in the world with I-4's.

14. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: I always air my tires to what is stamped on the tires them selfs. I run Michelin tires & they recommend 40 PSI.

15. 87kawzl

Tire pressure is subjective. 40 probably feels like your riding on rocks. On my truck I would wear the center tread out so fast if I ran it at max pressure on the sidewall without a load. I've always used the sidewall as maximum and mostly run in the lower 30's. Check for wear on the tires and adjust accordingly. Bump it up a bit with a passenger, very subjective. A quick Google search will give some guidelines on it.

16. R. J.

R. J. Well-Known Member

:hello: No rocks here in FL. :laughing7:. My tires are duel compound radials & 40 psi seems good.