1. Guest, In order to get the most out of the new software, we have created How to Videos.
    They are located in a sub forum under the "Website Related" forum. Visit them and if they help be sure to "LIKE" the post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bought a ZL600 :)

Soybean Jan 12, 2018 at 6:36 PM

1. Soybean

Soybean New Member

Hey folks.
    I'm now a fully fledged member of the ZL owners fraternity.
    Yesterday I bought a ZL600 from Dan Mcglynn who is or was a member of this forum I think.
    Only cost £300 but I had to get carbs from elsewhere, though two sets were only £60 and one of them originally lived on this bike anyway.

Okay, now for a technical question, or maybe two.
    When I bought it I was set on getting it regardless so I overlooked one fault I think I've found. Thing is, now I don't know if it's a major one. When I checked the gear lever and tried to click it down and then up there was nothing there. No click, no resistance. I don't know if the gear selector forks, if that's what it has, whether they're knackered or something else may be wrong.
    Of course without being able to run the engine I don't know what it is and whether something was just sticking due to the bike being stood a while.
    If it looks like it is knackered, then I'll source a replacement engine or just see if I can mend it. The engine is probably coming out of the frame anyway as I want to strip it down and make sure it's all 100% solid and it may get a fresh coat of paint.
    Also, pod filters. What's the verdict? It's not like there isn't thousands of bikes happily running around with them fitted. Of course I'd get the engine professionally set up with them on. As it is, I don't have an air filter box anyway, so I don't see the point in trying to get one. And besides, aren't they supposed to be a bit of a twat to refit anyway? ;)

2. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

It probably won't run through the gears unless it is in motion.

3. Soybean

Soybean New Member

Hmm, but every other bike I've ever been on, even when the engine isn't running it can still be put into first or second gear at least. I'll have to wait until I get home on Monday, but I'll try pushing it around and see if something is just sticking. :/

4. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

sorry I mis-understood. I thought it was going into 1st and then not going into higher gears on the way back up.

5. Zoid

Zoid Active Member

Hi soybean, congrats on your purchase. Regarding pods they are easier to fit and remove yes, but setting them up can be a realing pain. If you can find one i would go for an airbox. I see no real performance benefits with pods. Mine has them,probably because the airbox wouldn't fit with the larger engine and I am struggling to get it running properly throughout the rev range. You may find there isn't a problem with the gears once the bike is running, if you try 1st gear and then push the bike or elevate the rear wheel it may be in gear. The gears can be deceptively smooth sometimes so aren't always convincing like a harley for example.

Soybean likes this.
  6. Soybean

Soybean New Member

Thanks. I think a part of the attraction of pods is the induction noise! LOL
    I'll see what happens. I might get pods and get it professionally set up. If it runs fine cool, if not then find and fit an air box. Well , find one. Fitting it is a job for a sorcerer by all accounts!
    Regards the gears. When I pressed the gear lever down there was nothing at all. I did it a few times, and pushed the bike along just in case but it just free wheeled.
    The engine is coming out anyway, so unless it miraculously fixes itself it'll get opened up and looked at.